Filtering a deep tank

speedoking11

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 10, 2012
Wyoming
I am in the planing stage of a tank that is 72 inches left to right, 21 inches back to front, and a huge 42 inches tall. Topping out at 260 gallons, I'm not quite sure how I'm going to filter this tall thing! I have a 55 gallon I want to use as a sump and I have an idea how how to lay that out. But if I drilled the tank and got a few small power heads to move the water would running the sump be enough? What should I add or change? Filtering this tank will make or break the tank. I plan on keeping plants and discus, so that water needs to be top notch. Thanks all!

Mr Pleco

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 18, 2006
West
I was running a deep tank 48" with a built in overflow to a sump, with the overflow on one end of the tank.
Ran the output of the pump to the opposite end with a spray bar below the surface... middle of the tank had an old school ceramic air stone on the bottom behind the rocks...... no water quality issues..my pump was turning the tank water over 3x per hour...air stones are sometimes overlooked as an energy efficient source of water movement circulating the water from the bottom to the top....

speedoking11

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 10, 2012
Wyoming
I'm guessing that your overflow runs the entire height of your tank? I don't think that a surface overflow will get it done in this case. Thanks!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store