Usergroup
    MFK members
    Last Activity
    01-23-2014 10:32 PM

Question New 75gal Setup suggestions

Looking to do a CA wet pet single fish and maybe one pleco. Would like to do something a bit different like a Red Tiger Mota, Loiselle or even a Carpinte

Standard 75gal tank.
    For Filtration I really want to try an FX5 as I have never owned one, but for the price I could get 2 xp2/3. Not really into the HOB filters as they tend to be noisy. I want a quiet filter.

Heating most likely going with a ebo jager but might try one of those Aqueon ones. Has anyone had issues with one of these heaters with large aggressive CA's as far as the fish breaking the heater.

Probably add a power head for water movement and aeration.

So basically looking for suggestions/advice on Filtration, Heating and also any stocking suggestions for a not so common CA cichlid wet pet that would live comfortably in a 75.
    gettin evicted for owning too many cichlids yadadaimean thats ridiculous

Usergroup
    MFK members
    Last Activity
    01-27-2013 4:34 PM
    You could do a sump and hide the heater in there. Otherwise fx5 sounds good, and so does the Eheim heater.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Usergroup
    MFK members
    Real Name
    lee
    fx 5 is plenty of filtration ,but you could probably do 2 med. sized fluval or renas cheaper.as far as heaters go go as small as you can if (when )they fail they tend to stay on all the time ,so a small heater wont fry your fish.I just buy topfin heaters for the lifetime warranty. as far as fish go viejas make good single fish ,red devils and oscars too maybe even a jaguar cichlid

Usergroup
    MFK members
    Real Name
    Ray
    Last Activity
    04-16-2014 9:41 PM
    The Aqueon heaters can take the abuse, my O's have thrown mine around a time or two. I wouldn't buy anything but one of them now.

As far as filtration an FX5 is the way to go, that way if you ever decide to upgrade, you'll be covered.

As far as fish when it comes to CA, I couldn't help you on a single fish choice. I think that setup would be sweet with a pair of Salvini.
    345g Amazon Waterfall Build <--- Come on by and see how its going!
    My old 125 <---- Don't know why I got rid of this tank
    Aquaponic Betta Bowl <--- Lets have some fun on the cheap!
    40g Fire Eel Growout
    40g Acara Breeding tank

Usergroup
    MFK members
    Real Name
    Mike
    Last Activity
    12-18-2013 8:05 PM
    Everything sounds good setup-wise. As for fish, I have a Cyano (True Texas) in a 55g and he's an awesome fish. My most prized, to be honest. Maybe consider one of them.
    55g: [2x] Red Texas, [1x] Cyanoguttatus
    10g: [1x] Red Texas juvenile, [1x] Black Convict
    20g-Long: [1x] Normal Ball Python

Usergroup
    MFK members
    Last Activity
    01-23-2014 10:32 PM
    thanks for the replys. Almost thinking about going bigger like a 120g I think it is. same length just 2 feet wide. I will probably go with the FX5 and aqueon heater as I love trying new equipment!

I use to have a Carpinte years back and was my fav fish I have ever had. Have not seen them available in my area lately tho. I have a salvini right now in a smaller tank but they seem to be very shy and skittish, maybe that will change when fully grown. Thought about doing a pair but do not want to deal with the aggression, dividing tank if necessary etc. I really want to try one of the guapotes tho if I can find one. Its so hard to make a decision on a single fish/species tank! lol.
    gettin evicted for owning too many cichlids yadadaimean thats ridiculous