S.A. cichlid aggresion

kroxabp

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 27, 2011
Aquarium Desert
hey anyone i need some help in lowering oscar and jaguar aggression in the tank are there any good step and methods i can use in making them more calm(some quick info: they dont seem to do much damage to eachother just some occasional chasing, charging, and aggressive gill displays very rare light lip lock then go on about there time)

3 oscars
1 jag
random others

kroxabp

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 27, 2011
Aquarium Desert
they are in a 115g this stage in life biggest oscar in about 8in the rest between 5.5in and 7in the jag is the smallest but trys 2 rule everyone but my two big tiger keep him in check in a way the jag is the main aggressor but dont want to get rid of him

TheHolyArachnid

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 20, 2012
Spiderweb
they are in a 115g this stage in life biggest oscar in about 8in the rest between 5.5in and 7in the jag is the smallest but trys 2 rule everyone but my two big tiger keep him in check in a way the jag is the main aggressor but dont want to get rid of him
of her more like.

115g is very small for that group of cichlids. You need a minimum of 150g for those three cichlids.

TahoeFish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 20, 2011
Tahoe City, CA
I think people will want to know the size of these fish and the tank size. Having lurked here for awhile, my hunch is that there is a species compatibility problem. Jags are very aggressive. I'm sure more folks with Jags will comment.

JasonsPlecosCichlids

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jan 23, 2010
Kentucky
jasonsplecoscichlids.com
You are going to have this problem no matter what size tank you have, this is just how these types of fish are. Even if they were in a 1000 gallon aquarium, you will still have fish that try to rule the tank. Im not saying all South/Central Americans will do this but a large majority will. The best way to do this, is to have a lot of fish around, not just a select few. This works for me about 80% of the time. You may just have a problem fish and need to trade him in for another till you find one that is more socialable. I went thru 4 blackbelts before I got the one I have now, this one is very calm. Almost all of them thou have their spats here and there which is typical.

oscarkid99

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 11, 2012
new york city
I have kept oscars in all different sized tanks. the best way to lower aggression is to lower the current temperature by 2degrees farenheit. it sounds wierd but it works!

kroxabp

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 27, 2011
Aquarium Desert
thanx @masterb that was well put 4 me from my tanks i had in the past i did notice the more i stocked them the more distractions it provides

kroxabp

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 27, 2011
Aquarium Desert
any ideas of what types of schooling fish i can use with these guys... i think a school of something would benefit because they dnt really bother the randoms(catfishes, S.bichir etc..) and would add some movement.. what will get big enough in a school???
i heard other types of schooling cichlids can do even tough red jewels>> thanx all your help

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store