Lighting for Africans?

Acura_RSX

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 30, 2008
Newfoundland, Canada
I am going to a lfs today to get two new Africans for my tank. I'm debating picking up a new bulb for my light while I'm there (hasn't been changed since I bought the tank used over a year ago). It's currently running 1x 30" life-glo 25w bulb (33g tank). I am using pool filter sand, black background and slate rocks as deco + couple of fake plants. There are also 2x clown loaches in my tank. I'm under educated when it comes to lighting so looking for guidance on what bulb to look for. Should I just replace it or get something different?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

cant009

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 1, 2012
Arizona
Okay In my opinion and my friends light really doesn't do much. Unless you have real plants or are trying to grow something then the light isn't very valuable my tank is also set up with pool filter sand and slate :D But the main point of the light is for the looks. Do you like the light you have now? If so keep it. If you would like it brighter I would get brighter if darker then darker. Light is all personal opinion. The light you have now should be fine :p Good luck!

Inglorious

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 27, 2010
Stuck inside my own head
T5 with a 10,000k and actinic bulbs, or run 50/50 bulbs. The 10,000K will brighten up the tank and bring out the lighter colors while the actinic will balance it out by highlighting all of the blue shades.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store