Tank size

CodyD

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2012
Indiana
It seems every time I look threw a post someone says "oh you need a bigger tank for those fish." or "they will out grow that tank". Maybe maybe not I don't see why people think that you need a HUGE tank just to have more than one fish. Now I am sure that the people i'm talking about will flame me for saying this but if your fish are fine in the tank they are in and can swim around most importantly turn around you should be OK. I read someone say " I don't see how you could have a community tank of less than 55 gallons anymore." What do you mean anymore so now fish need more space than they did ten years ago? Just my rant on the all mighty solution to every ones problem your tank is too small.

deeda

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2008
Medina, Ohio
I have also seen the recommendations for needing a larger tank and 9 out of 10 times that is the proper solution. You have to realize that many people don't provide enough information in their original post question, have purchased a fish they know nothing about, don't realize how quickly some fish grow or really love that particular species but only have a tank size that is insufficient.

It really comes down to what is best for the fish and not necessarily what is best for the fish keeper! Once you have been on these forums awhile, you will see why this advice is offered so frequently. It's not always said to be mean or nasty but to prod the owner to provide the best environment for their fish to remain healthy and live a good, long life.

Chuncan

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2012
Corralitos, CA

spadoc79

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 24, 2010
tallahassee, florida
i just ignore those comments when i hear "that catfish will out grow that 170g in no time" or "I hope you have a giant tank setup and ready for that RTC"

I have 2 rtc x tsn hybrids and 1 tsn in a 170g right now and yes they are growing fast but not growing 2 feet over night.

as long as you know you will need bigger and will provide bigger the hell with everyone else

CodyD

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2012
Indiana
Spadoc that is exactly how I feel and I love your signature so so true.

ColeFishing

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 5, 2012
Ohio
yeah i also agree with spadoc. my friend who works for my dad has a 8' x 4' x 30" tank for 1 rtc. now IMO this is a good tank sie for the fish. not the best, bost CERTAINLY not the worst. IMO if a fish(mostly catfish. i'm not talking about fish like tiger fish or dorado that need much more) has 2.5 times the length as himself and enough room to turn around he is fine. now i know about 50-75% of the times someone says "Get a bigger tank" i agree with them. but i'm not going to but a neon tetra in a 125.

CodyD

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2012
Indiana
Maybe neon tetras do need a lot of space and we have been stunting them they could grow to 3 foot that would be a sight.

ColeFishing

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 5, 2012
Ohio
Maybe neon tetras do need a lot of space and we have been stunting them they could grow to 3 foot that would be a sight.
yes! i'm not the only one with that thought. i've always thought that i'd be cool if neons were always stunted and they really got huge. that'd be awesome.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store