kamikaziechameleon

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Sep 23, 2010
western hemisphere
Hello internet has anyone ever had a zero edge aquarium:

View attachment 770200

[video=youtube;WZL72WknKjQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZL72WknKjQ[/video]

I'm in love with the idea but it seems there is very little info on these tanks on the internet they've been around for a while though and all I can find is one guys story of how his tank siphoned and everything died(a problem easily preventable). Otherwise you just see lots of pics of them and video but next to no reviews. This has finally shown me a reef tank I'd want! Granted I'd want a 6 foot or longer version and they don't show one but apparently after visiting their website they do make custom tanks.

brich999

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2010
New Hampshire
Ya look at the prices. not cheap and i hope you have very deep pockets for a 6 footer the Boston aquarium has one that's maybe 30g but it is impressive.

kamikaziechameleon

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Sep 23, 2010
western hemisphere
As a designer its amazing because its the first time I've seen something that is more than an aquarium. The concealment of all hardware is amazing. I would challenge you to do this in a tank that is not in a wall. Its more than an aquarium its a water feature and piece of art. The prices for the complete reef ready assembly are in line with all the new reef setups I've seen.

Its amazing to me because with the molded edges and finely polished fillets, the near identical light refraction of acrylic and water this thing almost makes it look like there is not tank from a medium viewing distance. Just a cube of water with coral and fish in it.

Oughtsix

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2011
Redmond, OR
Are you thinking fresh or salt water? I would think you would have to deal with a lot of salt creep with a salt water tank.

I wonder home much maintenance a tank like that takes to keep all the calcium deposites off the stand and such? I do know it would have to be perfectly level! It must have some sort of very fine adjustment for leveling the tank. I would guess a tank like that would have some sort of minimum flow rate to keep the overflow water coating all 4 sides.

At least you would not have to ponder over whet to drill the overflow!

Very cool looking though!

Ryi

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 19, 2009
Sunny Florida
Sea in the City in Orlando had one of those about 3 years ago. I wandered in while I was in the neighborhood and caught myself just standing there watching it, dumbfounded. It was beautiful.
You'd have to have the tank PERFECTLY flat and level, spotlessly clean. Any debris, snail, etc that got on the edge would spoil the illusion.
Meh, the best things in life are ALWAYS worth working for!

kamikaziechameleon

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Sep 23, 2010
western hemisphere
Sea in the City in Orlando had one of those about 3 years ago. I wandered in while I was in the neighborhood and caught myself just standing there watching it, dumbfounded. It was beautiful.
You'd have to have the tank PERFECTLY flat and level, spotlessly clean. Any debris, snail, etc that got on the edge would spoil the illusion.
Meh, the best things in life are ALWAYS worth working for!
My thought, the appeal is so strong as it turns my expectations for what an aquarium can be on its head.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store