looking for a starter predator!

predator1

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 14, 2012
Toronto Ontario
Hello I have been looking at predatory cichlids and they look really awesome have somewhat a personallity and are overall not to hard to keep. I wanted a starter predator fish but not a small one. a single predator than fits into a 50 to 70 gallon tank and does not come over total of lets say 600-650 but am able to go up if teh fish is perfect for me! anyways I saw how awesome snakeheads can be and looked into them more and found smaller 16 cm maximum sized snake heads but is hard to find information I want about them? so any snakeheads that arnt to to hard to care for small and able to live full life 50-70 gallon and can be a mean eatting machine? remmeber just one fish nothing else but a solo fish.
Ive had a 10 gallon community tank but want a step up into predators! so any species suggestions please if so name price range tank size needed full life full price tank everything and fish of coarse please and thank you! have a nice o wait I take than back great day! P.s I want to get it this june or july so I can have some time to think and research the fish

READ everything

Slippery K

Piranha
MFK Member
Dec 5, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Well I see your in toronto, im just an hour down the road in newmarket, sorry to burst your bubble about snakeheads but they are illegal here in ontario. I have seen them for sale live in Kensington market though, but many of those asian places have been shut down by toronto police even though the fish were intended as food.. They are legal in BC though.

But for you 50 - 70gal aquarium predatory chichlids seem like a good idea. Iv seen some flower horns go for over $100 though, which personalyi think is wayy over priced, but im not into chichlids either.

lcujol

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 12, 2010
Prince Albert, SK
Yep no more snakeheads anywhere in Canada illegal. I think u should go for a Red Devil they are very very aggressive plus they are active towards there owners, but they will destroy anything u put in the tank so it is a solo fish.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Andrew1002

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 29, 2012
New jersey
Get a 75 gallon (can be bought around $300) then go and pick up an Oscar. They are amazing beginner predators and also an advanced predator as well! All types of aquariusts can keep oscars! That's the first thing that came to mind but there are other possibilites like jack dempseys, parrot cichlids, convict cichlids, and many other aggressive cichlids for a 75 gallon tank

-Andrew

Slippery K

Piranha
MFK Member
Dec 5, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Yea a red devil or oscar would be a good starter predator, or a green terror.

lcujol

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 12, 2010
Prince Albert, SK
Get a 75 gallon (can be bought around $300) then go and pick up an Oscar. They are amazing beginner predators and also an advanced predator as well! All types of aquariusts can keep oscars! That's the first thing that came to mind but there are other possibilites like jack dempseys, parrot cichlids, convict cichlids, and many other aggressive cichlids for a 75 gallon tank

-Andrew
Good advice

obsoleteturtle

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2012
winnipeg
Yep no more snakeheads anywhere in Canada illegal. I think u should go for a Red Devil they are very very aggressive plus they are active towards there owners, but they will destroy anything u put in the tank so it is a solo fish.

Since when did snakeheads become illegal everywhere in Canada?

Sent from my iPod touch using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

lcujol

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 12, 2010
Prince Albert, SK
Since when did snakeheads become illegal everywhere in Canada?

Sent from my iPod touch using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
The last time I seen them was 1 year ago at lfs they had to get rid of them I asked why she said they are banned in Canada. Totally sux cause I so wanted sum and I should have got them when I could have, ohwel u win sum lose sumlol

Slippery K

Piranha
MFK Member
Dec 5, 2011
Ontario, Canada
The last time I seen them was 1 year ago at lfs they had to get rid of them I asked why she said they are banned in Canada. Totally sux cause I so wanted sum and I should have got them when I could have, ohwel u win sum lose sumlol

I think they have been banned for quite some time, since they became an invasive species in the states, canada banned them out of precaution, as the northern snakeheads can tolerate our water bodies almost perfectly, if they can thrive in Russia, they can thrive here aswell.

Its also good to see some fellow Canadians on here eh? Lol

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store