how to convert saltwater stingrays to freshwater?

.C.J.

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 12, 2011
Is it possible for some saltwater stingrays to adapt in freshwater? :confused:

FishDog

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2008
B.G. KY
There are select species like the Florida ray that can go into freshwater but it is almost impossible for the at home fish keeper to do it successful. You need huge amounts of water volume and filtration to keep water quality in check as they secrete large amounts of urea to handle the fresh water. Most die in a few months when kept in a fresh water tank. Your best bet is to keep them in brackish or full salt.

Just Toby

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2010
Guildford UK
I think some people have done something in the short term but the rays are likely to die in the longer term or be unhealthy. I wouldn't even try it as the fish is likely to suffer.

calgaryflames

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2009
calgary
their are many elasmobranchs all over the world that live in fresh salt and brackish waters and venture in between.part of their life cycles, i dont know why youd want to convert a salt water ray into a freshwater ray when the nicest rays in the world are freshwater potamtrygons and very easy to keep

Just Toby

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2010
Guildford UK
their are many elasmobranchs all over the world that live in fresh salt and brackish waters and venture in between.part of their life cycles, i dont know why youd want to convert a salt water ray into a freshwater ray when the nicest rays in the world are freshwater potamtrygons and very easy to keep
+1

Zoodiver

As seen on TV
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2005
South FL
All of the elasmo species that go from salt into fresh need MASSIVE amounts of FW to offset the amount of waste being produced to keep their body in check with surrounding water salt levels (or lack there of). It's very rare to see one of those species kept alive long term in a captive setting.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store