Honest question, odd story

Nighttouch

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2010
IL
So, I occasionally have a dream where I got to an LFS to which I've never been. Everything is normal at first, but then I get to tanks of murky colored water with strange, unnatural creatures in them. This dream fascinates me every time it occurs.

My questions is, what oddball fish could I keep in water tinted with almond leaves/peat water? I'd like to have driftwood and plants (fake) so that the fish would kind of fade into view from the dark water from between the wood & plants. The fish in question would be homed in a 47g bow front tank.

Are there any active eels or the like I could use for this application?

Warrensmentor

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 29, 2012
Virginia
How about a bichir of some sort

Sent from my SPH-D710 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

snowhnter

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 20, 2009
West Virginia, USA
I don't know but sounds great. I know there is a blackwater extract used on some amazonian biotype tanks. If you get it set up, you gotta post lots of pics.

Nighttouch

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2010
IL
I already have 2 bichirs, a retropinnus and senegal, so I don't really want more of them. As for gouramis, I have a 55g full of 'em.

I'll have to do a bit of research. If I get it rolling, I'll make sure to get some pics.

nikond70s

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2009
uranus
pretty much any fish from south america would love that blackwater environment especially if its wild caught. so your options is huge.

Nighttouch

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2010
IL
I used to do this with a tank:

Fill a pillow case halfway with peat moss and fill it with water.Shake and knead then squeeze. I did this until I had a 5 gallon bucketful. I then let it set overnight for fine particulates to settle out and pour the water off. I added the water to the tank when doing water changes. The water would be cloudy for a couple of hours, but would clear up to a brownish orange color.

Shy fish seem to love it because it keeps them from feeling so exposed.

Mount_Prion

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2012
center of the universe
Lungfish would be creepy in it. There are a lot of fish that enjoy darkness in general, like maybe some kind of knife fish?

ed--didn't realize 47g was the size...that's a bit small for my suggestions, hehe.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store