Are rays better off in high ph/tds waters

skynoch

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2007
edmonton alberta canada
I've been having great luck with rays as well as alot of other Albertans out here and am wondering if it's just a good knowlegdebase and sharing community or is are water actually more suited for freshwater rays than soft lower ph waters. Just because a fish lives in a certain water does not mean that is the best conditions for that species. These rays did evolve from saltwater to live in fresh so maybe it is easier for them live in our waters.

STINGRAYED

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2012
us
Great topic !!!!! I think it is just like humans or any Animal for that matter We all have the ability to adapt some more then others in the same specie ..We can live in big cities cramped conditions and live in a rural area equally as well it all depends on your or an animals personality Just my Opinion.......

calgaryflames

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2009
calgary
If its like humans than do you think a wild African bushman would be better off in the Canadian arctic lol jk !

About rays?? Their skin has evolved to lower ph softer water,I wonder what the effects are on it?I know their is some effect I've seen it on wild caughts that did not take to adjustment. After a few years the rays do adjust or deal with it. I notice this alot with my crencichla and discus I've kept. Their skin seems to irritate easy.Rays are obviously different maybe a better comparison would be to a bull shark. They venture into amazon river no problem, also inhabit many hard water rivers? Elasmobranch seem to have a wide range of tolerance . I think in the hobby it's most often due to stress. improper acclimation.just takes time
So many other contributing factors aswell but a guy that knows what he's doing can keep a ray in any water chemistry I think.

But I still think they are better water that is stable.most often replicating Amazonia often ends tradgic . It's very hard for the average aquarist to replicate 10 uS and ph of 6 when your tap is 300uS and ph of 8

calgaryflames

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2009
calgary
All so often it's that initial shock from the sudden chemistry change thats the cause of problems

IMO rays are best kept in what ever you can keep stable. I think they would be better off in natural conditions yes and if I could provide ph of 6 I would but I can't keep it stable

STINGRAYED

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2012
us
All so often it's that initial shock from the sudden chemistry change thats the cause of problems

IMO rays are best kept in what ever you can keep stable. I think they would be better off in natural conditions yes and if I could provide ph of 6 I would but I can't keep it stable
You Know The African bushman would do better in the Artic then a Metropolitan city i can almost guaranty it LOL!!!!:)And i think you hit the nail on the head Stability Stability stability!!!!!Sadly i have Lost a few gorgeous Rays not following This simple recipe !!!!!!And pretty sure others have also!!!

skynoch

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2007
edmonton alberta canada
Not sure if natural conditions are allways better. I knowNorthern Pike around here will vary in health and size depending where they are caught from. I would think the best conditions to keep a northern pike at is where they look the healthiest, but what if a species only managed to survive in an unhealthy location due to different reasons, do we keep them in that water becuase it`s where they came from or do we try others. Humans that live in extreme conditions survive but I`m sure they may thrive other places, mind you we haven`t really evolved very much yet.

STINGRAYED

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2012
us
Not sure if natural conditions are allways better. I knowNorthern Pike around here will vary in health and size depending where they are caught from. I would think the best conditions to keep a northern pike at is where they look the healthiest, but what if a species only managed to survive in an unhealthy location due to different reasons, do we keep them in that water becuase it`s where they came from or do we try others. Humans that live in extreme conditions survive but I`m sure they may thrive other places, mind you we haven`t really evolved very much yet.
WapoWWWWW!!!! Exactimundo!!!!!!It should actually be possable to have healthier Rays Overall and stronger bigger you name it in a controlled environment Right??????

hereticlosmorte

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 1, 2010
Ontario, Canada
prolonged exposure to harder water has shown to develop calium deposits in the skin of rays.
i don't know what kind of health-related effect this has on them though.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store