Rules of Hybridization In American Cichlids

Chrisplosion

Mean Cat
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2010
Oregon, it's part of 'Murica!
I notice a lot of people asking whether or not their fish can breed with this or that so consider this a guide to answer your question. Assuming you can get two fish to pair up and spawn, this will help determine whether or you not you will get viable fry from the pairing.

Remember that American Cichlids are essentially split up into two categories: Central American and South American.

1. All Central American Cichlids can hybridize with any other Central American Cichlid - Until it is proven otherwise, assume all Central Americans can hybridize with one another.

2. All Central American Cichlids can hybridize with any Hybrid Central American Cichlid - Most commercially sold hybrid cichlids are of Central American descent and should be considered Hybrid CA Cichlids. This includes Parrot Cichlids, Flowerhorn Cichlids, and Red Texas Cichlids.
Exception to the rule: Sterility occurs in hybrid cichlids commonly in males and occasionally in female, Parrot Cichlids being a great example of this as nearly ever single male is sterile. A sterile parent will not produce viable fry.

3. No South American Cichlid can hybridize with any Central American Cichlid - Until it is proven otherwise, assume that no South American Cichlids can hybridize with any Central American. No South American Cichlid has ever been confirmed to successful hybridize with any Central American Cichlid, any case of this happening successfully has been word of mouth.
Exception to the rule: Cichlasoma Festae can successfully hybridize with any Central American Cichlid. Cichlasoma Festae is essentially a Central American Cichlid living in South America.

4. No South American Cichlid can hybridize with any other South American Cichlid - Until it is proven otherwise, assume that South American Cichlids can not hybridize with any South American. No South American Cichlid has ever been confirmed to successful hybridize with any South American Cichlid, any case of this happening successfully has been word of mouth.
Exception to the rule: Same genus South American Cichlid can potentially hybridize with one another. For example a Green Terror (Aequidens Rivulatus) can hybridize with a Blue Acara (Aequidens pulcher).

Some example:
Firemouth (CA Cichlid) x Green Texas (CA Cichlid) = Viable Fry
Flowerhorn (HCA Cichlid) x Jack Dempsey (CA Cichlid) = Viable Fry
Synspilum (CA Cichlid) x Festae = Viable Fry
Severum (SA Cichlid) x Red Devil (CA Cichlid) = No Fry (And no this is not how Blood Parrots are made....)
Green Terror (SA Cichlid) x Oscar (SA Cichlid) = No Fry

Now there is the occasional rumor about CA Fish A breeding with SA Fish B and getting fry. One notable example of this is Convict x Severum, there have been a few reports of this happening. Until it is 100% proven to be true, I choose to be skeptical.

And as always, practice safe hybridization. Please do not breed similar fish and pass them off as one or the other. Midevil is a good example of this.

FishFreak95

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2009
New Mexico
Great info chris. I just want to point out that if the female lays eggs its fertile. An infertile female cannot produce eggs, like an infertile male won't produce sperm. Just saying as I have seen some people blame the female with unfertilized eggs.

Sent from my SPH-D600 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Reactions: Krichlid

Chrisplosion

Mean Cat
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2010
:confused: Has anyone ever seen any Oscar hybrids. Other than other Oscars.
I've never seen one. ??????

Spike;)
Nope, first post explains why you won't ever see one.

FishFreak95

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2009
New Mexico
I heard this from Izzy, I think, that male red texas can be fertile when If it is 5/8ths texas. For example
-texas X parrot = RT (1/2 tex)(infertile males)
-Texas X RT = RT (3/4 tex) (fertile males)
-1/2 tex RT X 3/4 tex RT = fertile male RTs.
Any one.know if this is true?
Could it be applied to other hynrids, like say a, 5/8 tex, 3/8 jag?( something I want to try when I get back to the hobby.
Sent from my SPH-D600 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

triwolves

Feeder Fish
May 8, 2012
ohio
thx great info ,have some hybrids bye chance father was a old large trimac who paired up with a female dovii in a large 150g. well after 3 or 4 failed times finally they did.both are dead now but i now have a breeding pair of their offspring.they have breed 2 times also.

Chrisplosion

Mean Cat
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2010
thx great info ,have some hybrids bye chance father was a old large trimac who paired up with a female dovii in a large 150g. well after 3 or 4 failed times finally they did.both are dead now but i now have a breeding pair of their offspring.they have breed 2 times also.
Any pictures of the fish?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store