Back to the Basics: Best Ray Food

peterp63

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2008
On a boat!
What is everyone feeding their stingrays and why?? What's good/bad about it?

For me, the food needs to meet certain requirements:
1. Highly nutritious for stingrays
2. Easy to store
3. Low cost

What food meets all of these requirements the best??

peterp63

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2008
On a boat!
I'll start. I feed pellets, primarily, and shrimp/snails/superworms as treats.

I believe pellets meet all of the requirements except "low cost". Hikari Massivore is found cheapest when bought in bulk (2.2 lb bags) at $18/lb. Hikari Sturgeon is cheaper, but still high at $10.50/lb.

I am looking for a cheaper alternative. Plus, many times it proves extremely difficult to convert rays to pellets.

doyboy

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2010
essex uk
Feed mine on mostly massivore and sturgeon pellet plus sinking gold, once a week they get king prawn and earth worms. Find the massivore creates alot more waste from the fish but the growth rate and condition of the fish is much better when on pellet. Just my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

motoro magic

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 2, 2011
england
raw king prawn
mussels
sprats
sardines
worms
pellets (massivore and cichlid gold)
occasional treat of live river shrimp
i believe that a varied diet is better for your rays than feeding just one or two food imo. The seafoods are cheap, readily avaliable and easy to store in the freezer.

peterp63

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2008
On a boat!
I have and they eat it, but not as readily as massivore. I believe it's only slightly cheaper, but NLS is known for top quality foods. That's all I fed my trophs and petros back in the day. That said, I have a huge container of it and only feed it when they've been starved for a little while so I know they'll eat it.

peterp63

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2008
On a boat!
Feed mine on mostly massivore and sturgeon pellet plus sinking gold, once a week they get king prawn and earth worms. Find the massivore creates alot more waste from the fish but the growth rate and condition of the fish is much better when on pellet. Just my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
Quick question... Have you found any packages larger than 2.2 lb (1kg) for mass or gold? Or larger than 4.4 for sturgeon????

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store