DAD SAID YES TO HUGE FISH TANK! Need stock?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andrew1002

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 29, 2012
New jersey
Okay so I was all this time telling my dad how I need a bigger tank for my fish. So I told him when we re redo my basement (flooded from broken window) why can't I build a huge fish tank like 400+ gallons. He was like whatever. But this is your last tank. So I got him to agree with building a huge 400+ gallon tank. Probably going to be in the 500 gallon range. But, my current stock I'm worried about are my cichlids. I have 3 oscars and 3 jack dempseys. Both have possible pairs within them. I'm getting 3 convicts as well. Also pairs within. But I am planning on doing a 500 gallon tank. Any ideas of other stock I can add? I was thinking a Jag pair. Or a lone Jag. As all my fish are really aggressive like more than normally. But I'm thinking of doing a possible stock of this
3- oscars
3- jack dempseys
3- convicts
1- jag (maybe 2. Pair?)
3- sun catfish
2- Senegal bichirs
6- bristlenose plecos
4- common plecos (until 18")
Would this stock work?
I know some pairs might just dominate the tank. But that's why I'm getting them all at a relatively small size. Have the oscars and jacks already at 2"-4.5". But I'd get the jag or jags at maybe a couple inches smaller like when my other fish are at maybe 8" I'd get 3" jags? Idk yet. But I really want jags. Would this stock work? Feel like the tank is too big to find any of the fish lol. It would have some huge driftwood along with like 100 caves all over

-Andrew

Andrew1002

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 29, 2012
New jersey
Lol my dad said yes because on top of me not being allowed to get another larger tank, he said that he can't wait to show it off to all his friends! Lmfao I was like yeah dad its gonna be awesome! Can't wait till this summer! Gonna start saving up after I get my convicts.

-Andrew

bobblehead27

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 15, 2010
Tampa Area
Could be wrong but bichirs are probably not going to fare well with these other fish, I also don't know about the sun catfish... However, in a tank that size you can definitely add more to that tank.... The size is the only reason the bichirs may survive...

Andrew1002

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 29, 2012
New jersey
Okay just thought of a better stock
3- oscars
3- jack Dempseys
3-convict
3-sun catfish
2- jaguar cichlids
2- Texas cichlids
6- bristlenose plecos
2- common plecos
2- Senegal bichirs
1- dovii?
Would this stock work at all? Not sure on the dovii as I'm pretty sure I can't even get any near me. Would the cichlids parts work though? Name any faults please? I know it will be an extremely aggressive tank. That's what I want though. :D. Also gonna probably load in like 1000 of my breeding snails. I'm pretty sure the convicts don't stand a chance. I wanted to get Texas and jags to crossbreed. So id maybe just get one of each. Any ideas on stock?

-Andrew

Jimmy16

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Feb 10, 2011
Las vegas
500 gallon.. i'd go with better fish.

go with 2-3 black or silver arowanas, some peacock bass, and some rays (if they are legal where you are at).

or if you want to do cichlids go with an all male community tank, don't do pairs.

Andrew1002

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 29, 2012
New jersey
What about the stock just listed? Id really rather do pairs though :( I would like to see some large cichlids fighting off other large cichlids to protect young like In the wild. Don't think I would even want to do an all male tank. I already have the oscars and jack Dempseys. Only thing I need is the convicts. Which I'm getting in the mail soon.

-Andrew

Andrew1002

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 29, 2012
New jersey
Ya I'm now certain the sun cats would be dead in this tank. Any other cool catfish? Also no senegals on the list anymore. They'd die

-Andrew

Jimmy16

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Feb 10, 2011
Las vegas
What about the stock just listed? Id really rather do pairs though :( I would like to see some large cichlids fighting off other large cichlids to protect young like In the wild. Don't think I would even want to do an all male tank. I already have the oscars and jack Dempseys. Only thing I need is the convicts. Which I'm getting in the mail soon.

-Andrew
trust me, you don't want to look at fish with torn fins all the time. the stock you have is too common for me... since you have such a large tank to work with, why not go with more impressive fish? and why would you need to order convicts in the mail... they are a very common cichlid...

MTBjake

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2011
Menifee, Ca
Andrew, look into some amphilophus like Trimacs or Chancho and Midas in that big of a tank. I don't think I'd mess with a Dovii as they require massive space and will more than likely make the tank more of a shredded fin show.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

everlastace

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 15, 2011
Utah
Your stock would work just fine. And if those are the fish you want, then don't listen to people saying get "better" fish. Better is in the eye of the beholder! Get fish YOU like. Dempseys and Oscars are some of my favorites! Some severums would look awesome in there too!

Sent from my LG-P509 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store