planted tank ?

liontammer

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 7, 2006
fish cave
i got a 125 planted tank with a ornate burcher and a small pb in it. as for plants i have 2 small lotes's a large java furn and a huge mother sword. what i want to know is what kind of filter can i put on this tank right know there realy isent anything but the bio filter( yes i do water tests and the plants and bio filter are great to keep up with the little amount of bio load in the tank)i want to put a canister filter on the tank but i dont want to have a huge current on it what size could i yous? what should be the flow rate as well.as i said im just afraid of there being to much current and my duck weed and other plants being blown all over the place

highrisktankeeper72

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2012
New York Baby
Fx5. Pretty sure you can adjust flow rate to slow the current

Sent from my Droid using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

deeda

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2008
Medina, Ohio
You can use any brand canister filter that you want too.

What are you using for a bio filter?

liontammer

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 7, 2006
fish cave
besides the gravel bed there is a vary large piece of drift wood in the tank as well as a 3/4 x 20 x 13 slabe of sand stone. the tank has been set up and building the bio filter for over a year

deeda

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2008
Medina, Ohio
So you don't have any kind of electric or air powered filter on the tank now? Just gravel, driftwood and sandstone as your bio-filter?

liontammer

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 7, 2006
fish cave
not realy i have a small air stone and a back pack but it dont work worth a **** lol i think it is an old skilter 400 with out the skimmer part

Puffer puffer pass

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2012
Fort Collins
Fx5. Pretty sure you can adjust flow rate to slow the current

Sent from my Droid using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
An fx5 is ment for 400g tanks! Might be a bit of overkill! Lol

Yes what the other guys were saying a canister filter works the best, just make sure that the outport of the filter doesn't brake the surface tension on top of the water because that will release the c02 build up you need for the plants to survive... On the other hand the plants will really only eat up the C02 during the day time, so at night you can get a small water jet or power head of some sort to go on so it will break that surface tension across the top of the whole tank so you won't hurt any of the fish! You also have two choices as far as Co2 in the tank the cheapest and in my opinion the best thing to do for a planted fish tank is to stock it with a bunch of smaller fish like tetras or any other non plant eating schooling fish that can produce the c02 for you, or you can get a c02 system that is very expensive but works really well. I hope this helps and good luck with your tank!

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store