datnoid colouration

Ade

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2008
London
Hi.
i would like to know what is the best way to make a datnoid's colour stable .
There is no proven way .
Some are, some are semi stable, and some will never be.

Or use search function: type in stable unstable,.....
Then see if you can find an answer...

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

jtmia13

Feeder Fish
Dec 18, 2009
Miami
OK I am new to this forum and as I search I am constantly prompted to post so...

I have had an interest in this subject for quite some time and I will share my experiences and observations. Not claiming to be any kind of expert but this is what I experienced.

I have owned ST in the past - never observed an unstable fish - period.

I have purchased ~ 20 IT anywhere from the size of a dime to ~10", raised them in groups up to 3 years at a time. The only consistent observation I can share is that their behavior with regard to coloration is a bit like Discus. The most subordinate fish has the most distinct, highest contrast coloration (vertical bars) - groups of 3, 5 or 11 it has always been the same for me. Get rid of the smallest/weakest fish and the next one in line takes its place in regard to coloration.

I have varied food (live, pellets, cut shrimp, shell on or off) , size of aquarium (80 -210 gallon), substrate, background, type and density of hiding places/cover and the observation above is the only thing i see consistently. I have purchased stable fish and added them to my group and they are unstable within a few days unless they are the smallest fish in the tank.

I added NTT (3) and they also became unstable with regard to coloration but over a longer period of time.

If anyone has ideas for me I would love to get advice on this. I have a giant tank with a lot of big black dats............except for whoever is at the bottom of the pecking order. whoever that is at the time looks awesome.

My water quality is excellent I have a large sump type filtration system no nitrate, ammonia etc.

I keep the dats with a large mellow arowana and flagtail prochilodus

I am always looking for information on this topic and more varieties and different individuals to add to the collection to try to get this tank looking like it should, any help is appreciated.

selki

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2008
Hawaii
I think it also varies on the size of your aquarium. get plenty driftwood and a large tank and your dats should be happy :)

rgonzales

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2009
where i dont wanna be
I think it also varies on the size of your aquarium. get plenty driftwood and a large tank and your dats should be happy :)
But what does happy mean? Stable or unstable no one knows. All we can do is speculate

selki

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2008
Hawaii
happy means being stable. stable means being happy. its like humans. if you're stuck in a studio your whole lifetime you think you'll look good to another person? probably deformed, stressed out, and not so happy lookin; resulting in an appearance that isn't so attractive to another person if they were to date you. kapeesh?

ultimatejay

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 19, 2006
USA
OK I am new to this forum and as I search I am constantly prompted to post so...

I have had an interest in this subject for quite some time and I will share my experiences and observations. Not claiming to be any kind of expert but this is what I experienced.

I have owned ST in the past - never observed an unstable fish - period.

I have purchased ~ 20 IT anywhere from the size of a dime to ~10", raised them in groups up to 3 years at a time. The only consistent observation I can share is that their behavior with regard to coloration is a bit like Discus. The most subordinate fish has the most distinct, highest contrast coloration (vertical bars) - groups of 3, 5 or 11 it has always been the same for me. Get rid of the smallest/weakest fish and the next one in line takes its place in regard to coloration.

I have varied food (live, pellets, cut shrimp, shell on or off) , size of aquarium (80 -210 gallon), substrate, background, type and density of hiding places/cover and the observation above is the only thing i see consistently. I have purchased stable fish and added them to my group and they are unstable within a few days unless they are the smallest fish in the tank.

I added NTT (3) and they also became unstable with regard to coloration but over a longer period of time.

If anyone has ideas for me I would love to get advice on this. I have a giant tank with a lot of big black dats............except for whoever is at the bottom of the pecking order. whoever that is at the time looks awesome.

My water quality is excellent I have a large sump type filtration system no nitrate, ammonia etc.

I keep the dats with a large mellow arowana and flagtail prochilodus

I am always looking for information on this topic and more varieties and different individuals to add to the collection to try to get this tank looking like it should, any help is appreciated.
I agree that the dominant Dat will be stable but I think the color of the substrate and tankmates makes a difference too. I bought a large ST once that was unstable since the owner had it. I put it in my tank and instantly became stable.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

rgonzales

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2009
where i dont wanna be
happy means being stable. stable means being happy. its like humans. if you're stuck in a studio your whole lifetime you think you'll look good to another person? probably deformed, stressed out, and not so happy lookin; resulting in an appearance that isn't so attractive to another person if they were to date you. kapeesh?
No i dont. I have a 240 with only a few fish and my large dat is never stable but my small ngt is always stable. I would think the larger one would be happier as he ia the dominant fish in the tank. All these theories are just that, for all we know a happy indo could be a dark colored indo

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store