RT VS TEX

REDKID!!!

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 24, 2006
San Diego CA
Hey i've just purchased a RT and i was wondering when do they start getting red and whatts the difrence between that and a regular texas? They both looke the same. If anyone has any pics of a mature RT (male and femal) that would be great. Thanks!

gian krlo

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 24, 2006
Battery Park, New York, NY
Hey there, but did you get the true red terror from Ecuador or the Mexican false red terror:confused:

An ecuadorian red terror (the true red terror) Cichlasoma festae
FEMALE

MALE

and the mexican false red terror. Cichlasoma urophthalmus(Normally get in US as the true red terror.)

can you post a pic of yours.??? to respond to your question

Chago09

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2006
Ontario
i'm not 100% positive so dont take my word for it but I think a red texas is a hybrid. They are nice but I wouldn't breed it

Jason_S

Polypterus
MFK Member
Oct 5, 2005
Indianapolis, IN USA
yes, red texas is a hybrid, supposedly from a texas and blood parrot. I've heard different things about when red texas get their red. I read somewhere that if they aren't red by like 3" then they won't turn red, but then I've seen photos on other sites that supposedly show how the red comes out later as the fish reaches about 6" or so. I know that doens't help you much but that's all I've got. :ROFL:

BastardFish

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2005
West Coast
Red Texas are a hybrid. Sorry but what you read is also wrong. Some can change or peel at anywhere from 3-6'' range. The question of when or if they do peel is a gamble though as anyone who knows what they are talking about can tell you. In all reality when looking at it on a whole. It is actually a very small number or percent that will under go a peel. If and when they do. To what shade or consistency is also up in the air. Some peel off yellow looking, some orange, some blotchy, and some bright red. Some of the differences between the RT and the Regular Texas cichlid. Regardless whether or not the they have peeled or if they ever do are. Much larger pearl spots(most evident feature next to color), pearl facial patterns, a somewhat reddish tone to the skin between the pearls even if a darker brownish red and sometimes body shape but not always.

Here is a bit more info for you and there is much more out there too.

The most popular “Cross Breed” Cichlids in Thailand cannot be any breed except "Red Texas"

"Red Texas" is the Cichlids cross breeding between male green texas (Herichys Carpinte) which is originated in South America and female beautiful color fish such as Parrot, King-Kong, Flamingo, Redshock or Redsin. The charming of Green Texas is its luster scales which is called "Pearl"

Three major characteristics of Red Texas are as follows:-Red Texas

Shape: Red Texas is considered as huge structure fish. The mature Red Texas can have size up to 30 CMs. in length.
A nice Red Texas should have wide and thick body with straight fin which is perfectly match with the body.
Color: The most popular and expensive is Red. The next popular is Orangy-red.
Not all Red texas are red, and some might not even fade. There are Red Texas in Red, Orangy-red, Yellow, and Pink. They could have these colors when they are faded.

Pattern: There are several types of pearls..

1. Delicate Pearl
2. Small Pearl
3. Big Pearl
4. Brain Pattern Pearl

Each pattern has sub-categories so pattern of each Red Texas is different. This is one of its charming characteristic that make Red Texas is so popular and make it differ from the other cross breed.
As Breeder always use Green Texas and color fish such as Red Parrot and Red Devil. Red Texas receives nice pearl from father and red color from mother.

However, one lot of babies can come out in two major colors:-
Green Flesh This group receives more genetic from father. It will have nice pearl but its skins have none or less chance to peel off so it will not come out red. This color is not popular.

Red Flesh This has major genetic from mother so it has more chance in changing color. However, not every red flesh can change color into the red or orangey-red which is very popular. After the peel off period, the color may show in yellow or pinkish-white.

by KNT Farm

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store