How long can fish live out of water?

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
Which species? Some can die instantaneously from any temperature variation in transitioning from water to air. Others can survive days depending on climate/dewpoint/evolutionary adaptations/etc.

Jeox

" I got monkeys in me! "
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2006
I had a dempsey do it for at least an hour. No apparent problems...and it's been a few years..

Peanut_Power

Running From The Hammer...
MFK Member
Jul 6, 2005
BannedVille
www.monsterfishkeepers.com
Oddball;608274; said:
Which species? Some can die instantaneously from any temperature variation in transitioning from water to air. Others can survive days depending on climate/dewpoint/evolutionary adaptations/etc.
Humor me....haha. I was just askin in general. Like people who go fishin and catch and release, sometimes they keep the fish out of water for several minutes. Say i wanted to put neosporin on my parrots, how long could i have them out of the water safely before i would have to start worrying?

Bderick67

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2006
Colorado
Peanut_Power;608287; said:
Humor me....haha. I was just askin in general. Like people who go fishin and catch and release, sometimes they keep the fish out of water for several minutes. Say i wanted to put neosporin on my parrots, how long could i have them out of the water safely before i would have to start worrying?
Why would you be putting neosporin on your fish? are they injured? you would be better off treating with Melafix. But if you need to they could be out of water for a couple of minutes. Or put it this way how long do you think you can go without breathing?

1ra8der

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 5, 2006
MEXICO/U.S.A
one if my fish lasted the whole nite....:eek: then he die when i went on vacation....:cry: :cry: :cry:

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
If you're applying an ointment, why do you need to remove them from the tank? Restrain them underwater with a net and apply the ointment. Or, place them in a catch bin (like an lfs uses) and apply the ointment. Placing the ointment on a cleaned index finger makes it easy to target the spot you want to apply it.

ssmith

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 2, 2006
wilmington, NC
Some semionotiformes can go days outside of water. I had a run in with Lepisosteus osseus, the long nose gar, that went 24+ hours stuck in a mud bank. (long story :))
When african lungfish estivate, they record is 7 years out of water!

Tongue33

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 11, 2006
Utah
www.davescichlids.com
Peanut_Power;608287; said:
Convicts LAst an hour maybe two... I have had one lay there for just over an hour and back in the water and was well.. My GT jumped twice the first time i heard him and didn't think anything of it for about two hours when i heard him floppin again and it STRUCK me !! The second time he was not so lucky.. :(

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store