Lateral Line Scale Count.

tokyogasmask

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 1, 2009
Japan
This thread was made to contain the discussion of the subject so as to stop the hijacking of every thread with the word "Ansorgii" in it.

Hi.
After all the talk of users Ansorgii just being a regional variant of PO. Bichir Bichir, I spoke to our (Japanese Bichir Group) president Dr. Igarashi about the subject.
Dr Igarashi is a very well respected scientist, who has and still does specialize in the study of Ancient fish.

He was a main contributor of the book "Jurassic Fish", and has published many more studies and books here in Japan.

The difference between him and certain "Internet Scientists" *cough* you know who you are *cough* is that he can actually provides evidence to his science, not just hot air, from reading a book etc.

Anyhow after a bit of a giggle, his answer among other things, was to simply perform a lateral line scale count.
The Ansorgii should count between 50 and 62, the Bichir Bichir count should be between 63 and 75.
Very rarely will these two fish overlap in scale count.

Regional variants of species should keep within the LLS bracket of the species, but will vary in color and often body shape.

So here is my counts:

Bichir Bichir 66 scales
2rop9oi.jpg

Ansorgii (WC) 52- 54 scales
30m6b08.jpg

I also did a scale count of one of the BIG-IN "Specials" for comparison ` 57 scales
vct1e8.jpg

Post your PBB and Ansorgii scale counts in here.

2rop9oi.jpg

30m6b08.jpg

vct1e8.jpg

Reactions: Iamfish

tokyogasmask

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 1, 2009
Japan
Just an enthusiast myself, learning all the time.
I didn't think about lateral line count to be honest, but it makes sense to me.

King-eL

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2008
Philippines and Canada
Good job TGM!!!! I was gonna post about the lateral scales count too and the teeth and skull structor of the PBB vs Ansorgii. Both are also different.

I just dont wanna post to or reply to that "internet scientist" that's why.

Even Frank Schaefer made a mistake in ID of PBB on his Aqualog Polypterus book. His polypterus bichir bichir were infact polypterus bichir lapreadei "guinea". Some of his polypterus palmas beutikoferri were acrually polypterus palmas palmas. He later corrected them. Couldn't remember which forum that was but it was way back.

tokyogasmask

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 1, 2009
Japan
Well King, I was in two minds wether to bother posting this or not, as the "Internet Scientist" had gone beyond annoying and got to the point of boring.
But after me being accused of having only a "marketing interest" (?) In something I am passionate about, I thought what the hell, why not.
If anything it may help stop these decent threads being locked because of hijacking whenever the word "Ansorgii" is mentioned!
But probably not. Let's see how long this thread lasts...

King-eL

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2008
Philippines and Canada
I was also getting annoyed by that "internet scientest" who can't even socialize properly with with other members. Lol! It was funny at first on how he act like that but it's getting annoying over time.

I'm actually waiting for the english version of the new aqualog polypterus book by Frank Schaefer. He said he read on that book that ansorgii are rare and not in the market and not a species of it's own but a variant of a PBB. If they are not on the market the publisher of that book is actually selling the fiah "ansorgii" to the public. Even the fish for sale looks very similar to the ansorgiis that we own. Lol! Unless that internet scientest couldn't see visually.

It's like looking at his wife and calling it his sister or wait mother. Hold on a second he needs to makes sure that's his wife by doing DNA test.

tokyogasmask

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 1, 2009
Japan
LOL.

"Wife, I have it on good authority you are just a regional variant of your mother"
"How could you say such a thing?!?!"

"Genetics baby..."

Reactions: Le JP

Burbotman

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2006
Canada
Kudos!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And thank you!!!!!!!!

Mods should be stickied just under or included with annes post on visual identification of polypyerus

Best part guys is you have experiance with the fish you talk of

I too wondered about the ansorgii Frank was selling---seemed hypicritical

King-eL

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2008
Philippines and Canada
LOL.

"Wife, I have it on good authority you are just a regional variant of your mother"
"How could you say such a thing?!?!"

"Genetics baby..."
Lol! :)
Kudos!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And thank you!!!!!!!!

Mods should be stickied just under or included with annes post on visual identification of polypyerus

Best part guys is you have experiance with the fish you talk of

I too wondered about the ansorgii Frank was selling---seemed hypicritical
Probably another marketing thing too. Lol!

FishFreak95

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2009
New Mexico
Very interesting. I know snakes can be identified with scale counts, never thought about it on a fish. I wonder if cichlids and other species can be identified in a similar way

Sent from my SPH-D600 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store