Netting a tigrinus cat

JayC74

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2012
Massachusetts, USA
Hi, was wondering the best way to remove a 2ft tig from a tank without damaging the streamers. This tig has his full streamers & would like them to stay that way. He's been in the tank just about his whole life so much not experience with netting these guys. I've netted quite a few adult geophagus cichlids & have messed up their streamers some. Is a net safe for his streamers or should i take other means to get him out?, thanx for any feedback

jsodwi

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2005
south of heaven
The best way is a large plastic bag and submerge the bag fully in water and try and course the fish in the bag with a net or any object. This can be difficult but it is by far the best way to ensure that it doesn't get hurt.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
agreed. Lower water level to make it a little less stressful on both of you. The streamers will grow back though if damaged

JayC74

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2012
Massachusetts, USA
Also gd to know the streamers will grow back if an accident happens. Some fish have features that are difficult to grow back like an aros barbells for instance. Wasn't too sure in this case, thanx

juzbmez

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2011
Where Lightening Strikes
I use what they call a sock net for my kois. 20-28" kois and a lot girthier than the tig. I use it on my buddys 24" jardini once and it worked great. sock net look it up ... I personally prefer the sock net.

Viet Dragon

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 18, 2009
illinois
have u ever try using a big plastic bag,,,,,that how i catch all my big arowanas...Hope it helps...

PraveenS

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 3, 2010
Mississauga,ON Canada
try to use a large plastic/heavy duty garbage bag and try to guide him slowly into the bag. This is probably the most stress free option for the fish. Netting a fish such a size can definitely have negative impacts on the fish. Goodluck!

cullens089

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 9, 2007
Canton,Michigan
Ive used pillow cases for large cats with very good success

Sent from your moms bed using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store