What is on my gar?

pharmaecopia

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 21, 2010
Ontario, Canada
First noticed this the other day. One of the floridas in a mixed gar and doradid catfish pond developed some growths on it's side near the anal fin and on the caudal fin. This showed up around the time that a coNuple of the floridas got their caudal fin shredded. The other fish in the pond are not displaying anything. I bumped up waterchanges but there hasn't really been any change. Pond temp has been staying between 70-75F. These are the best pictures I could get, any closer and the image would blur.

It's not a fungus and the other thing I though of was lymphocystis but from looing at the stickies this does not appear to be a match either. Anyone have any ideas?

201_0784.JPG

201_0785.JPG

201_0786.JPG

kevinfleming21

Jurassic Aquatics
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2010
Chandler, AZ
That tail looks to be a bite mark from something chomping on it. As for the other wound, is it actually on the anal cavity? If so, you might be looking at a prolapse.

pharmaecopia

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 21, 2010
Ontario, Canada
That tail looks to be a bite mark from something chomping on it. As for the other wound, is it actually on the anal cavity? If so, you might be looking at a prolapse.
Split tail fin is from bites from one of the other gars. There are some growths on the end of the tail though. It's not on the anal cavity, it's around in and seems to be on the scales.

Dubeckyj

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 22, 2011
Canada
I have zero experience with this, but what are the chances it's a bite wound and that's what a fish scab looks like?

sbuse

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2009
IN YOUR HEAD
the red area looks kinda like the growth i had on my fl before, only after it had been roughed up. does the red area look creamy white before the net rubbed it?

sbuse

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2009
IN YOUR HEAD
maybe another gar nipped it before you netted it. it looks alot like my gars "tumor" it had before.

E_americanus

Penguin Lover
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2004
Louisiana
primitivefishes.com
-i'd treat it like lympho for now...although the color doesn't match perfectly, i have seen it when it can get red before. the growths near the tail damage suggest this the most. make sure the fish continues to eat, and keep it's housing conditions and good shape and monitor progress over the next week or so. if there is little change we could look into other treatment options, for now, i wouldn't mess with it too much. good luck and keep us posted--
--solomon

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store