Tigrinus Care?

Archer33389

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 23, 2011
Connecticut
Hi everyone,
one of the employees at the pet store where I work offered me a tigrinus he had to get rid of, does anyone have tips for me? I want to give him a good home and I cannot really find much information. Does anyone know any good websites about caring for tigrinuses or have any good tips?
Thanks everyone

Hondacrx2

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 17, 2010
Pa
Here is your answer:

Sure ...here is my take on Tig's after 20+ years

They are not difficult to keep provided you follow the basic principles.

They are difficult to keep well because most people can't be bothered doing the required work and just put them in with other fish in a large tank and are surprised when they only last a year or less.

High flow rate (massive) Hi oxygen and lower range temp's 75-78 degrees(25c)

They a a fish that dwells in the rapids and need massive water movement.

What's massive you say ????

Well they live HERE .....

So if you think you have enough current ....you HAVEN'T !!!!!

They require particularly clean water , I mean crystal clean so think 2 x 50% WC's a week , every week ...forever.

They require a large tank (but not as large as a TSN) something like a 6' x 3' x 2.5' would keep a tig for life.

They require careful selection of tankmates they are not aggressive and their beautiful trailers can be damaged. I keep them alone.

They require feeding of preferably mixed foods but only every 2nd day.

I use UV's, Chemicals, large 50% WC's every 2nd day and a minimum of 300gal per fish with 10x turnover and I have not lost one yet and I've grown up 8 so far. All to over 20" from tiny little babies including one that is now 28" which i think is the biggest tig ever grown out in a tank and has just got his own 570g tank.

My regime for keeping my tigs is pretty simple, do the very best possible. Zero tolerance, Zero compromise.

I keep them alone I've never had success with tigs with tank mates. Whenever they have had tankmates they either try and kill them (which they are hopeless at and usually end up hurting themselves) or go off their food. I keep them alone, 1 per tank.

I have a very specific and set regime for keeping my tig's I don't expect many people to be able to do it this way but it will offer some ideas for those having issues.

When they are tiny I feed them naturally on live food (neons, blackworms).
Gradually I introduce earthworms and rehydrated freeze dried blackworms.
Once they are eating the freeze dried I insert crushed massivore tablets inside the clumps of blackworms and introduce silversides and small frozen fish.
Once above 12" I move to a diet of the freeze dried blackworm/massivore cocktail and small dead fish.

I keep my feeding regime for adult fish as follows ..
Day 1 feed blackworm/massivore
Day 2 50% WC no food
Day 3 feed 4 small dead fish thawed in seachem nourish solution
Day 4 50% WC no food
Day 5 Large Earthworms
Day 6 50% WC no food

Then your back on day 1 again .....

I believe Chemical filtration is important so ......

I also have a totally seperate filter (Eheim 2078 Pro3E) filled with
6 x pouches BiochemZorb
4 x pouches Nitrazorb
2 x 500ml bags Seachem Purigen
This filter outputs through a 72w UV sterilizer.
All the chemicals are changed for new (not regenerated) on the first day of each month.

Normal Filtration in the 300g's consists of
1 x Eheim 2080 Pro 3 XL
1 x Eheim 2180 Pro 3 XL thermofilter

I also use 2 x Eheim 2252 internal sponge filters with diffusers for additional circulation and aeration instead of a airstone.

The new tank is 570g up from 300 and has a 2nd 2180 and 2080 in addition to the 3 other filters and the internals.

I will gradually replace the other tanks with bigger 500+ g tanks as the fish in each reaches the size when its streamers can almost touch the rear of the tank if its on a 90 degree angle I'd never let the fish feel restricted in any way when turning.

PH is kept at 7 always

GH 4 KH 4 and I TEST (yes actually do the tests) all parameters weekly.

I've never missed a water change, a chemical change or a filter maintenance ....ever.

I personally consider Tigrinus to be the greatest fish in the world ......they are my passion (my wife would say obsession).
It might be weird to have 2800 gallons and only 8 fish but its the way I do things.

lix.ma14

Hydrolycus Armatus
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Here is your answer:

Sure ...here is my take on Tig's after 20+ years

They are not difficult to keep provided you follow the basic principles.

They are difficult to keep well because most people can't be bothered doing the required work and just put them in with other fish in a large tank and are surprised when they only last a year or less.

High flow rate (massive) Hi oxygen and lower range temp's 75-78 degrees(25c)

They a a fish that dwells in the rapids and need massive water movement.

What's massive you say ????

Well they live HERE .....

So if you think you have enough current ....you HAVEN'T !!!!!

They require particularly clean water , I mean crystal clean so think 2 x 50% WC's a week , every week ...forever.

They require a large tank (but not as large as a TSN) something like a 6' x 3' x 2.5' would keep a tig for life.

They require careful selection of tankmates they are not aggressive and their beautiful trailers can be damaged. I keep them alone.

They require feeding of preferably mixed foods but only every 2nd day.

I use UV's, Chemicals, large 50% WC's every 2nd day and a minimum of 300gal per fish with 10x turnover and I have not lost one yet and I've grown up 8 so far. All to over 20" from tiny little babies including one that is now 28" which i think is the biggest tig ever grown out in a tank and has just got his own 570g tank.

My regime for keeping my tigs is pretty simple, do the very best possible. Zero tolerance, Zero compromise.

I keep them alone I've never had success with tigs with tank mates. Whenever they have had tankmates they either try and kill them (which they are hopeless at and usually end up hurting themselves) or go off their food. I keep them alone, 1 per tank.

I have a very specific and set regime for keeping my tig's I don't expect many people to be able to do it this way but it will offer some ideas for those having issues.

When they are tiny I feed them naturally on live food (neons, blackworms).
Gradually I introduce earthworms and rehydrated freeze dried blackworms.
Once they are eating the freeze dried I insert crushed massivore tablets inside the clumps of blackworms and introduce silversides and small frozen fish.
Once above 12" I move to a diet of the freeze dried blackworm/massivore cocktail and small dead fish.

I keep my feeding regime for adult fish as follows ..
Day 1 feed blackworm/massivore
Day 2 50% WC no food
Day 3 feed 4 small dead fish thawed in seachem nourish solution
Day 4 50% WC no food
Day 5 Large Earthworms
Day 6 50% WC no food

Then your back on day 1 again .....

I believe Chemical filtration is important so ......

I also have a totally seperate filter (Eheim 2078 Pro3E) filled with
6 x pouches BiochemZorb
4 x pouches Nitrazorb
2 x 500ml bags Seachem Purigen
This filter outputs through a 72w UV sterilizer.
All the chemicals are changed for new (not regenerated) on the first day of each month.

Normal Filtration in the 300g's consists of
1 x Eheim 2080 Pro 3 XL
1 x Eheim 2180 Pro 3 XL thermofilter

I also use 2 x Eheim 2252 internal sponge filters with diffusers for additional circulation and aeration instead of a airstone.

The new tank is 570g up from 300 and has a 2nd 2180 and 2080 in addition to the 3 other filters and the internals.

I will gradually replace the other tanks with bigger 500+ g tanks as the fish in each reaches the size when its streamers can almost touch the rear of the tank if its on a 90 degree angle I'd never let the fish feel restricted in any way when turning.

PH is kept at 7 always

GH 4 KH 4 and I TEST (yes actually do the tests) all parameters weekly.

I've never missed a water change, a chemical change or a filter maintenance ....ever.

I personally consider Tigrinus to be the greatest fish in the world ......they are my passion (my wife would say obsession).
It might be weird to have 2800 gallons and only 8 fish but its the way I do things.
holy!!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store