Is any one using Hel-X media ?

Lusus_Naturae

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 7, 2010
OK, USA
Looks like a good product, they need to get a youtube of it to see how the stuff moves though, it looks a little heavier but it might do just fine.

B_IN_SD

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2006
Sturgis S.D.
Looks like a good product, they need to get a youtube of it to see how the stuff moves though, it looks a little heavier but it might do just fine.
There are a few youtube vids but they are all small scale I would think there is someone using this media on a larger scale, 100+ L.

brich999

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2010
New Hampshire
100+ liters? whats that about 30g sump full? seems like a lot of filtration and most likely overkill. arent most bioreactors like 3g? might check into fish farms and waste treatment. i know my friend used it on a fish farm in Peru with excellent results but i think he used 40l for about 3000g water. may i ask how much u are feeding to need that much filter?

X-Tank

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 20, 2006
www.youtube.com
I found this media while surfing the net today and would like a review if there is anyone using it on a larger scale say 200-300 liters. Here is a ebay link http://www.ebay.com/itm/HEL-X-MOVIN...5?pt=UK_Pet_Supplies_Fish&hash=item33775881fd
Hel-X provide 40% surface area but this thing is double size of K1.
The guy in video also said no tiny spikes inside of K1 media but if you look closely there are multiple tiny spikes outside of K1 but Hel-k outer surface is completely smooth which is not so good right? The reason there is no spikes inside of K1 so waste won't clot in there. I am not sure about bulky design of Hel-X. K1 is self clean no clot design but for Hel-X some larger waste may clot in the middle.

Just my opinion.

anarekist

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2011
Los Angeles
i think the outside of hel-x is smooth so the pieces dont clump together and thus the media will stay more 'fluid'

B_IN_SD

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2006
Sturgis S.D.
100+ liters? whats that about 30g sump full? seems like a lot of filtration and most likely overkill. arent most bioreactors like 3g? might check into fish farms and waste treatment. i know my friend used it on a fish farm in Peru with excellent results but i think he used 40l for about 3000g water. may i ask how much u are feeding to need that much filter?
My current k-1 sump has 100L of K-1. they claim on the bag that each 50 L. will process .25 kg. of food a day or 1.1 lbs for 100 L of media. I am not feeding that much yet but with 4 rays this will go up quite a bit when they are full grown. and I really doubt that 4 rays is all I will have.

Hel-X provide 40% surface area but this thing is double size of K1.
The guy in video also said no tiny spikes inside of K1 media but if you look closely there are multiple tiny spikes outside of K1 but Hel-k outer surface is completely smooth which is not so good right? The reason there is no spikes inside of K1 so waste won't clot in there. I am not sure about bulky design of Hel-X. K1 is self clean no clot design but for Hel-X some larger waste may clot in the middle.

Just my opinion.
Very good points ! Does the extra 40% surface area equal 40% extra filtering ability ? The K-1 only has a thin bio layer on the inside surfaces I wonder if the Hel-X would be the same ?

i think the outside of hel-x is smooth so the pieces dont clump together and thus the media will stay more 'fluid'
That very well could be.

anarekist

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2011
Los Angeles
you know the same guy selling the hel-x also sells the "bio-motion" which is supposedly also a fluid bed media using a ceramic or sintered glass media.

B_IN_SD

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2006
Sturgis S.D.
you know the same guy selling the hel-x also sells the "bio-motion" which is supposedly also a fluid bed media using a ceramic or sintered glass media.
He also said in the vid that it will degrade over time = adding more media. I would prefer not to be alawys buying media.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store