10" Florida feeding..

biguebs

Dovii
MFK Member
Mar 5, 2011
Fort Wayne, IN
I've managed to find plenty of information on the frequency of feeding, but I'm trying to establish the correct quantity/portion that my 10" gar should be getting "per feeding". I have him off live, using thawed raw shrimp right now (stuffing w/NLS pellets). Right now, every feeding is one shrimp (medium sized from grocery). Currently feeding him once per day. This enough? The fish seems to still want more based on the reactions to me being near the tank after he has already been fed.

Colossus

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2011
oHIo
Wanted to bump this. My Gar is 10" and I am feeding twice a day. When can I scale back?

MonsterMinis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2009
Wisconsin
I didnt start scaleing back until i had my gar 1 yr.. so they where about 1.5 yrs old or so. about 14". they started turning into lil sausages.. lol. they also got pretty lazy during feeding time, now my floridas only eat every 2-3 days though the tank is fed generally every day. I cut back on live foods, and frozen first. I feed them until they leave a pellet or 2 floating w/out interest in it. they get live or frozen every other week now as a treat/exercise, imo it keeps them interested and eating regularly. they never know whats going to hit the water.

btw my cuban always begs when he sees anyone near the tank... my floridas will sometimes get into the action particularly if they see the net out(which means live foods). hungry or not they want to interact as much as any cichlid ive owned in the past, but deffinately if food is involved lol.

HungDang

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2010
Fort Worth
I didnt start scaleing back until i had my gar 1 yr.. so they where about 1.5 yrs old or so. about 14". they started turning into lil sausages.. lol. they also got pretty lazy during feeding time, now my floridas only eat every 2-3 days though the tank is fed generally every day. I cut back on live foods, and frozen first. I feed them until they leave a pellet or 2 floating w/out interest in it. they get live or frozen every other week now as a treat/exercise, imo it keeps them interested and eating regularly. they never know whats going to hit the water.

btw my cuban always begs when he sees anyone near the tank... my floridas will sometimes get into the action particularly if they see the net out(which means live foods). hungry or not they want to interact as much as any cichlid ive owned in the past, but deffinately if food is involved lol.
you FLG only eat every 2-3 days? I think my 2ft spotted gar is eating too much as he eat pellet more than the koi!

showcase gars

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 2, 2010
Tallahassee,Florida
I feed my 4x 11-14 inch floridas every 2 days silversides... They do perfect on that schedule...

Sent from my PC36100 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store