Hornwort issue

Drazn

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 16, 2009
TX
hey guys I have an issue and was hoping you might be able to shed some light on it. I just bought some Hornwort for my cichlid tank and I was under the impression that it floats on the top but it is sinking to the bottom and blocking my Intake on my filter. Anyone have any ideas of why its sinking and how I can keep it out of my intake?

Thanks

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Hello; some fish shops have a bit of lead strip holding a bunch of hornwort together. It needs to be removed. Mine floats.

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Hello; Another thought, it will be pushed around with sufficent current. If you have high flow that may be enough to move it into the filter intake. The cichlids will also move it around as they swim.

Drazn

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 16, 2009
TX
Yeah that may be it. I have a fluval fx5 and it pumps out some water. I know there is a pretty strong current. what do you suggest to keep my plants at the top?

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Hello; Perhaps an expanded cage around the intake. I have done this when intakes with fairly small intake screens have repeatedly clogged up. I have used the nylon coated screening with some success. Unsightly though. I have also added T's and doubled up on the intake screens, looks a little better.
let us know if you solve the issue.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store