My New Gar! What am I ?

fwprawn

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2011
New England
Got this from CROWE - He is a 100 % A-1 guy.

I gave this guy a couple weeks to settle in - and now with his colors in full force again, here are some photos.

We were debating what it is - obviously not a Florida. He thinks a hybrid. After I put him in his new tank (with a Longnose, and an Alligator), I noticed how short his nose really is - is he a shortnose ?

get-attachment-1.aspx.jpeg

get-attachment-3.aspx.jpeg

HungDang

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2010
Fort Worth
I would say it is a Florida gar, how big is it?

fwprawn

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2011
New England
I'd say probably 8 inches - the nose is about half the length of a Florida Gar (And he was in a tank full of them.) I know Florida Gars, and this is clearly different, at least in person.

The first photo shows very clearly how short his nose is.

HungDang

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2010
Fort Worth
I would say that snout is normal for Florida gar! I've seen spotted gar with shorter snout than that and FLG generally have shorter snout than spotted! Anyway, can you take a top view photo?

fwprawn

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2011
New England
Solomon - I know you're the gar guru here - but I'm not kidding when I say the snout is about half the length of a normal FL gar's. If you look at the first photo, the nose is just as long as the head itself. That is not a photo-distortion.
I'm not trying to make it out to be something it's not - but something isn't quite right for Florida.
Could it be a FL / Shortnose hybrid ? Also, could you teach me how you can tell it's not a Shortnose?

E_americanus

Penguin Lover
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2004
Louisiana
primitivefishes.com
Solomon - I know you're the gar guru here - but I'm not kidding when I say the snout is about half the length of a normal FL gar's. If you look at the first photo, the nose is just as long as the head itself. That is not a photo-distortion.
I'm not trying to make it out to be something it's not - but something isn't quite right for Florida.
Could it be a FL / Shortnose hybrid ? Also, could you tell me how you can tell it's not a Shortnose?
great job on the pics and being very observant of the features...many times we don't get that with gar ID threads/questions, and so you have provided us with a lot of good info for the ID. the issue of snout length is two parts in your case:

- more and more FLG's are "farmed", and even those raised from an early age in captivity (even with being wild-caught) tend to have shorter snouts than their wild counterparts...so snout length, although a decent diagnostic, is still complicated with captivity and variation. your fish fits with an LFS FLG pretty well...pattern and other morphology also back that up (caudal peduncle, pattern, body shape).

- secondly, reGARding your shortnose question, SNG's actually have longer snouts at that size than all other gar species except for LNG. the name is misleading...SNG's only develop the shorter snout when they are around ~16-18"+ long. before that their snouts are longer than SPGs, FLGs, and any Atractosteus gars.

given our experience with hybrids and seeing FLGs from various sources, i'm pretty confident in the FLG diagnosis. you will probably see more development in FLG characters as the fish grows, so definitely keep us posted as this will be a cool fish on which to track progress. good luck!--
--solomon

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store