Florida Gar Fish + Pleco's issue, Please Advice !

vinson vr

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2010
malaysia
Hi Guys, Need Advice.

Read from somewhere, says that Gar Fishes are not suggest to mix with pleco in a Fish Tank !

Just curious. Does pleco hurts Gar? or Gar eat plecos ????

My Gars are 5-6 inches, my Plecos are 3 inches.

(i just bought 5 babies gar + two small common pleco, in a 4Ft aquarium)

Feedback awaits and appreciated.

MonsterMinis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2009
Wisconsin
Ive seen for myself and heard many others who have seen common plecos attack other fish, personally i had a 12" clean out my comm tank when i was a kid.. and seen/heard more then one instance of them killing Oscars and other large flat bodied fish. I kept an L-190 with my gars for over a year and they worked out fine. But commons tend to become omnivores/predetory with age, royals stay solid vegetarians.

sbuse

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2009
IN YOUR HEAD
i used to watch my 24" common pleco hide under a log and spring out on fish to attack them. as cool as it was to see, one of the fish it attacked was one of my gars....that pleco was gone that day.

Dubeckyj

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 22, 2011
Canada
i used to watch my 24" common pleco hide under a log and spring out on fish to attack them. as cool as it was to see, one of the fish it attacked was one of my gars....that pleco was gone that day.
Re-homed, or soup?

vinson vr

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2010
malaysia
Thanks for all the valuable advice guys ! Perhaps i should remove my pleco from the tank immediately !

nirman

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 12, 2012
Sri Lanka
Man i hate plecs. They are vampires, once a plec attacked my piranha and it is gone lfs immidietly...

kris ferguson

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2013
Ontario, Canada
I also know about the pleco I was keeping a 9" clown knife for my brother as he was moving 3 days later he was dead due to the pleco let me tell you we were both shocked by this as the knife was a beauty

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store