Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Green Sunfish
    Usergroup
    MFK members
    Last Activity
    10-19-2011 8:27 AM

Thumbs up

AN excellent read and GREAT advise.. BTW Mobile is my home town though I now live in Asia,

Thanks for this post It will save many a fish I believe

Usergroup
    MFK members
    Real Name
    Darren or Dazz
    Last Activity
    11-14-2013 2:55 AM
    I lost power last night for several hours. Every 20 mins i agitated the water with a whisk then moved the water around with my hand.

To keep the tank cool i simply floated a bottle of frozen water, i always have 2 bottles in the freezer.

After going thrue all that for several hours i decided its time i bought a couple of battery powered air pumps and spare batteries.
    MFK MFK MFK MFK

Crayfish
    Usergroup
    MFK members
    Last Activity
    Today 1:58 AM
    Learned a lot on this thread. Coming from a Third world country, we do not have power outages only when there is a big storm. We have brownouts for no reason at all. Because of this, we have a gasoline generator that only runs essentially the air pumps not all the filters and pumps in all the aquariums and ponds. With the air pumps running, I have had minimal loss of fish. If the power outage takes longer than a day, we monitor the ammonia levels of the tanks and ponds. We also keep enough gasoline to run our generators for atleast 7 days.

Darter
    Usergroup
    MFK members
    Real Name
    Tyler Hager
    Last Activity
    09-19-2011 5:06 PM
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RadleyMiller;618656;
    Can someone explain this sine wave thing in a more simplistic way? I understand trig, but not generators.
    a sine wave is a smooth alternating signal its like turning a dimmer switch up and down a square wave is just on and off like a toggle switch and i dont know how to explaine a triangle wave but wikipedia probubly has a better explaination for what it is and how it does what it does but there all signals

Usergroup
    Members
    Last Activity
    04-19-2011 11:20 PM
    I understand trigonometry, but not the generators.

Usergroup
    MFK members
    Last Activity
    11-07-2014 4:32 AM
    Admittedly I haven't read every single post here so I may be repeating something.

The tornadoes in the SE USA this week brought memories back of when we had a bad one miss us by half a block. It was almost two weeks without power, and an apartment that wouldn't allow generators. Even if they were allowed, the area was banned for a few days due to natural gas leaks causing possible fires or worse.

Besides being prepared to keep your fish alive at home, consider finding a fish buddy close to you, but not too close, so you have a place to take your fish if needed. I was able to move my fish to a local pet shop and paid them $30 for a month of boarding for using 4 of their tanks. It was a lifesaver to my fish and a few other too. They ended up boarding quite a few fish including a koi that lost it's pond from the tornado and quite a few scales and half a tail. It may not be the most important thing needing done after a bad storm, but it may help soemone worry just a little less. Please check on your friends in the SE USA.

Usergroup
    MFK members
    WoW.. Very good read. Thanks everyone.

Usergroup
    MFK members
    Last Activity
    05-24-2014 10:45 PM
    The knowledge available here never ceases to amaze me! Thank you all from me and my fish for your time and thoughts.....
    mobilenetmomma
    285 gal with 29" Pacu, 6 " Sevurum, 3" Firemouth, 6" JD,
    75 gal with one lonely female Bifa waiting for male,
    110 gal waiting to be set up
    55 gal with amphibians,
    10 gal with 5 - 1" parrots

Usergroup
    MFK members
    Real Name
    Hannah
    Last Activity
    10-07-2011 3:36 PM
    Blog Entries
    thanks for that ive always wanted to know what to do about my fish when a power outage occurs

Usergroup
    MFK members
    Last Activity
    07-16-2013 11:49 PM
    Great advice! thank you for all the info! I just experienced an outage last week, and I was in panic, but good thing the power came back on within the hour, but now I ahve all of this info, so a big Thank you for the info!

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast