id gar fry....i found me some!

sbuse

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2009
IN YOUR HEAD
i need an id and some ideas cause they are small! i think they are longnose, but i have never seen them this small. the smallest is about .5" and the biggest maybe 2"-3". i found 9 in total. i was out cat fishing and was wading in about ankle deep water when i went to find a good spot to pee when i saw a small "minnow" jump away. so i turned on my head lamp to see what it was. i couldn't believe my eyes it was a gar. took a few seconds to fully hit me and that this wasn't a dream then i scooped it up with my hands. put it in a bag. i started to look around and bam another. after the fourth gar i found i did finally pee, but then the search was on again.

here are the pics what do you think they are and what should i feed them? i was thinking blood worms, black worms, brine shrimp or glass worms if i could find them. the close up pic in my hand was the biggest gar of all them and they all look the same.

IMG_0647.JPG

IMG_0649.JPG

IMG_0650.JPG

IMG_0651.JPG

IMG_0652.JPG

IMG_0653.JPG

sbuse

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2009
IN YOUR HEAD
click on the pics you'll get a bigger clear pic.

i can personally guarantee these are 1,000,000% NOT floridas:popcorn:

Dubeckyj

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 22, 2011
Canada
It might be easier to tell with a side-shot of them suspended in water. All their fins are hidden and the pattern is difficult to see with them in your hands. I want to say LNG or SNG, but it's a guess at this point.

Great find, though. And good thing you didn't pee on them.

Wiggles92

Dovii
MFK Member
Apr 25, 2009
Pennsylvania
It might be easier to tell with a side-shot of them suspended in water. All their fins are hidden and the pattern is difficult to see with them in your hands. I want to say LNG or SNG, but it's a guess at this point.

Great find, though. And good thing you didn't pee on them.
x2.

Get the smallest ones separate from the larger ones so that they don't become food for the others; the larger ones can definitely take down small guppies at that size while the smaller ones will need baby guppies & smaller prey.

Regardless of what they are, I'll take two or four of them if you decide to sell any. :D

HungDang

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2010
Fort Worth
damn, I need to get out of my laziness and go catch me some babies gar! where did you find them?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store