Datnoids hiding in corner!

HawaiiMFK

Feeder Fish
Jun 16, 2012
Hawaii
Ive had these IT datnoids for a little over a month now, one of them is more dominant than the rest. I have 4 all about 2" in a 135g tank. The dominan one is the only stable one and the only one that swims around, the others just hide in the corner behind the heater and are always unstable. They eat perfectly fine but then swim right back to there corner before the dominant one can chase them back.. Is there any thing I can do to stop it from picking on the rest and make them swim around? Thanks

Kujiraya

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2012
aerobic environment
Ive had these IT datnoids for a little over a month now, one of them is more dominant than the rest. I have 4 all about 2" in a 135g tank. The dominan one is the only stable one and the only one that swims around, the others just hide in the corner behind the heater and are always unstable. They eat perfectly fine but then swim right back to there corner before the dominant one can chase them back.. Is there any thing I can do to stop it from picking on the rest and make them swim around? Thanks
Create more hiding places, eg, caves, driftwood and plants (even if just plastic), etc, ie, provide more cover so dominant fish not see others so much. Make sure get heater guard so heater not burn hidey fish! Also, get bigger tank as problem will get worse as fish grow up more.

Payarakeeper

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 15, 2011
Burlington, Ontario, Canada
Get more, dats should be in a larger group or single specimens, just from personal experience.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK
Why is it everyone say get more hiding place

Surely a monkey could see if you add even more places

for them to use they will use them and you will see them even less

If you have no hiding places the aggression is less as they each don't have a hiding place to defend

Tigers don't chase and continue doing it they attack in short bursts

The only true way to stop fights is to keep just one or have 2-4 but have massive size differences

My big 24inch ST is fine with tigers up to about 16inch

I have seen him get along fine for 2 years with tigers added to the tank at 12inch and he paid them no notice but as soon as they hit 16inch he will start pushing them around and showing them who's boss

jabsthetank

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 11, 2010
California
Why is it everyone say get more hiding place

Surely a monkey could see if you add even more places

for them to use they will use them and you will see them even less

If you have no hiding places the aggression is less as they each don't have a hiding place to defend

Tigers don't chase and continue doing it they attack in short bursts

The only true way to stop fights is to keep just one or have 2-4 but have massive size differences

My big 24inch ST is fine with tigers up to about 16inch

I have seen him get along fine for 2 years with tigers added to the tank at 12inch and he paid them no notice but as soon as they hit 16inch he will start pushing them around and showing them who's boss

Well adding decorations (hiding spots) would increase the surface area inside of the tank which creates more territory.
Either way, a territorial fish will claim an area. It's their natural instinct, hence, inevitable.
Also, these extra territories will allow the fish to feel more secure.
For example: when a predator comes, they know that they have a place to retreat to when they feel threatened.
This will allow the fish to feel confident enough to roam around the open space.

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK
Well adding decorations (hiding spots) would increase the surface area inside of the tank which creates more territory.
Either way, a territorial fish will claim an area. It's their natural instinct, hence, inevitable.
Also, these extra territories will allow the fish to feel more secure.
For example: when a predator comes, they know that they have a place to retreat to when they feel threatened.
This will allow the fish to feel confident enough to roam around the open space.
how do you intend on providing hiding places for tigers 16inch + at this size they should be free swimming they only hide in small places when small to hide from other preds in the wild

you dont have big massive preds in a tank to its best to get them out swimming free as young as poss its better than having them turn full black and try to blend into the background only to pop out for a bit of food if it should happen to drop close

Rotaryp04s

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Aug 11, 2011
Agree with T1 on this one minimize hideing places. You're not going to train a dats to swim out in
the open by giving him more places to hide.

jabsthetank

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 11, 2010
California
The OP's dats are at 2". Don't fish become less shy as they age?
Maybe I'm just big on comfort for my fish.
I think it's all on the fish to be honest. It can either cause them to stick to their corner or roam around.
You won't know until you try it!

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK
The OP's dats are at 2". Don't fish become less shy as they age?
Maybe I'm just big on comfort for my fish.
I think it's all on the fish to be honest. It can either cause them to stick to their corner or roam around.
You won't know until you try it!
Small fish will hide from fear of becoming food
By removing the hiding places they fish will see nothing is going to eat it and the bravery will come at a younger age

It's not making them commutable buy giving them a place to hide from the day they enter the tank

I have seen 2 inch tigers swimming free with 12inch tiger as they have given them confidence
Being brave doesn't come with age it's showing them they have nothing to be shy about from day one

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store