Got my FL Gar on cut tilapia, now what?

Colossus

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2011
oHIo
Hey Gar gurus,

Finally got my florida gar on cut tilapia from the market. He was on rosie feeders. I had to cut the slices of tilapia to look like small fish, then using fishing line, dangle it in front of him to simulate a struggling fish. He accepts it. Been doing it for a few days now.

Will he slowly come to realize that I am the one with the food or am I doomed to only feed him off fishing line?

Any type of pellets I should try? Crush up pellets and dust the tilapia cuts?

Thanks!

Deubie Doo

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 18, 2012
Rootstown, Ohio
www.facebook.com
now hand feed him! haha I would handfeed my gar market shrimp. they can tell its not the feeder fish so I dont think your fooling him haha but alot of times if fish are hungary than they will eat anything. I would try shrimp and small mice or pinkys/fuzzys. if he dosent take the food than wait 2 days and then try agen, hill take it sooner or later. just make sure ill fit in his mouth. but bo worrys, if hes hooked on feeders than get frozen silverside. Its alittle healthyer than feeder fish.

Colossus

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2011
oHIo
Probably will work towards getting him on some sort of pellet. Right now I am content he is eating something other than feeders.

Anyone who uses cut tilapia know if its good to use long term? Will the gar accept the cut tilapia and pellets should I get him to accept pellets?

HungDang

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2010
Fort Worth
tilapia is good but you still need to feed him a variety of foods, don't just feed him only tilapia. And, try to hand feed him, it's fun!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store