avocado leaves for aquarium??

Mount_Prion

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2012
center of the universe
I've been doing a little blackwater research recently but not sure if avocado leaves are really what you want to use. Never heard of that before. But Indian almond leaves are cheap and readily available, and widely used.

nikond70s

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2009
uranus
i know people use dried up advacado leaves for cooking. never heard of it for fish. some people might use them for shrimp tanks. but with lil info on them used for aquariums i wouldnt risk it. unless you have cheap fish or something and want experiment. id still go with indian almond leaves. they are cheap off ebay and safe.

aclockworkorange

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 24, 2010
Rose City
I grew up around avocado orchards, we even had 10 trees in our backyard. Researched a while ago if the wood was fish safe, couldn't find anything saying it wasn't. It has a really good look to it, would be interesting.
As far as leaves? One thing I would worry about it a lot of avocado trees are sprayed with pesticides. If you can verify it hasn't been, I don't see why they wouldn't work--any hardwood tree leaf should work out. Just remove them when they start breaking down.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

ceejaye23

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 28, 2009
Pesticide isnt an issue since its my tree and dont use pesticides.
I already know about indian almond and ketapang leaves and thats not my concern. I stumble upon this ad and got me curious.
Maybe theres only one way to find out.. lol!

vulter toad

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 22, 2009
San Jose
My parents have a small pond in their backyard with avocado tree next to it and the leaves fall in all the time and have had no ill effects to the goldfish in there.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store