560 Room Divider Build. Follow the fun....

ThomasWest

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2010
Huntington Beach, California
Getting ready to move into a new home and want the center piece to be a 12'x30"x30" reef. After a few glasses of wine this sounded like a great idea! Anyhow, woke up in the morning after sketching out the design and started to purchase wood, screws, glue, tools, more beer, sand paper and more beer. By afternoon we contracted with a company out of Arizona to build the Titan and we started the wood working adventure your about to participate in :)

The stand is constructed using 2x4s and a 2x10 for the load bearing horizontal. I beefed up the number of verticle 2x4s based on the deflection values needed to support the 560 gallons of water. Another reason for beefing up specific areas was to ensure I have two 5 foot openings on the front without sacrificing structure. I'll get more into that as I go along. (all this might go into the toilet as soon as I put the tank ontop and fill it with water haha). http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-302232.html (this also references yet another thread...and so on..)

Anyhow, lets go to week one of the build and I'll make sure I keep everyone posted going forward with the progress and disasters of the house and aquarium being completed.StandFrame.jpgPocketJig1.jpgStandJoints.jpgPocketJig.jpg

PocketJig1.jpg

StandFrame.jpg

StandJoints.jpg

PocketJig.jpg

ThomasWest

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2010
Base.jpgBase2.jpgBase3.jpg

Plenty of verticle 2x4s along with the 2x10 begin to take shape. Took some time to work the two door panels. All of the pocket screws are stainless and other screws were rustolium. The wood was sealed with Behr; hence the funny looking color. The white you see on the floor is a foam padding (next series will show what I did with that).

Base.jpg

Base2.jpg

Base3.jpg

ThomasWest

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2010
RopeNet.jpgRopeNet2.jpgRopeNet3.jpg

Instead of using wood molding, we chose to use rope and antique fishing net...the pictures show why. The two large panels were constructed using magnets on the backing so I can remove and have full access to equipment below. Hinges just rust out anyhow, so why not think outside the box and try something new (I doubt I'm the first)

It's starting to shape up......

Note the bottom of the stand isn't complete because the wood flooring will butt up against it and then be finished off with molding. The corners will also be dressed with 1/4 cut oak newels stained to match.

RopeNet.jpg

RopeNet2.jpg

RopeNet3.jpg

ThomasWest

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2010
Sealed.jpg

Inside of the stand is completely water proof using liquid rubber. The liquid rubber also covers the foam padding I added a while back that was glued to the plywood to quiet equipment. Plus I always wanted to work with liquid rubber (recommend a great spraying mask, the fumes probably killed the last two brian cells I had.)

I'll posted more pictures when we make more progress.

Sealed.jpg

JV_Z06

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2012
USA
It's not even done but it's already looking awesome.

I wish I had your carpentry skills :D

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store