Spotted gar help

elvispacman

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 18, 2009
houston
so I decided i want ot get a gar,specifically a spotted one because its the smallest.what are the dimensions of a pond that i would need for him.and maybe a channel catfish or some bullheads as tankmates. another question is how if i get a bunch of small fishes from where he lives and put them in the pond, would that work as a feeding method for him along with pellets, or would they ignore the food i give them and only eat the fishes.

Wiggles92

Dovii
MFK Member
Apr 25, 2009
Pennsylvania
I would go with at least an 8' x 4' x 3' pond (~500 gallons); this will provide the gar with plenty of room while also giving you enough depth for the colder months. You could go as small as the dimensions of a standard 180 gallon, but going larger is preferable since this is a pond & will not be as closed of a system as an aquarium. Be sure to place the pond in as shaded of an area as possible to keep the oxygen levels up, and the algae & the temperature down.

I wouldn't keep an catfishes with it as they might cause aggression issues.

I wouldn't bother with keeping feeder fishes in with it; it's cheaper & healthier to just keep in on pellets, and it may ignore the pellets in favor of the feeders.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store