Need Help....What Method Shipping Big Dat!!!!!

Viet Dragon

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 18, 2009
illinois
Hello fellow MFK's,

Just wondering if anyone out there who had an experiences shipping big dat????
Please share some of your info....Looking forward for some helpful information..

Much Appreciate....

Tommy

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK
I would stave them for 3-4 days before shipping as they seam to crap bad in the box

To tell the truth I wouldn't risk shipping anything over 16inch by air as the risk of death longer than 4 hours in transit is high

If you are moving the fish your self then put it directly in the poly box with as much water as you can and have another polybox full of spare water and think about changing it after 4 hours if the trip is longer

What you could also do is float a bag of carbon in the box to get rid of some of the toxins

I shipped four 14inch ST from Singapore one was DOA one was near death but just pull around after 4 weeks it started feeding again the other 2 were fine

I also shipped 2 ST myself for only 4 hours one was fine the other died 6 hours later

It's a big gamble shipping anything above 16inch

I hope the move goes well

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Viet Dragon

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 18, 2009
illinois
Thanks,, im getting 2 dats shipp to me from Cali and the seller doesnt guarantee live arrival...What caution should i be looking into...

I would stave them for 3-4 days before shipping as they seam to crap bad in the box

To tell the truth I wouldn't risk shipping anything over 16inch by air as the risk of death longer than 4 hours in transit is high

If you are moving the fish your self then put it directly in the poly box with as much water as you can and have another polybox full of spare water and think about changing it after 4 hours if the trip is longer

What you could also do is float a bag of carbon in the box to get rid of some of the toxins

I shipped four 14inch ST from Singapore one was DOA one was near death but just pull around after 4 weeks it started feeding again the other 2 were fine

I also shipped 2 ST myself for only 4 hours one was fine the other died 6 hours later

It's a big gamble shipping anything above 16inch

I hope the move goes well

pURPLEcHILLIrED123

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 11, 2009
Earth
Best way to ship is airport to airport, same day delivery. Don't use UPS or FedEx as the package might get delayed or lost. But cargo, even if the plane is delayed you can still pick it up when it arrives instead of waiting for the package. Good luck.

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK
Like I said it all depends of the size of the tiger

The bigger the tiger the taller they are so need more water in the box and the bigger the box

A 16inch tiger will need a 24inch polybox with min 12inch deep of water

Or the tiger will lay on its side in the box and they don't like it one bit

ozz465

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 15, 2006
Ca
Thanks,, im getting 2 dats shipp to me from Cali and the seller doesnt guarantee live arrival...What caution should i be looking into...
1st tip is don't buy from someone who doesn't guarantee live arrival, way too much risk for a pricey animal like that.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Totroc3

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 10, 2010
Southwest Washington
One thing I have learned recently is to avoid the larger airports if you can help it. I had never had trouble until this week. I bought 2 black rays from a seller in Pennsylvania and the packaged did a layover in Atlanta which is Delta Airlines base of operations. My rays were lost and nobody could find them. They showed up 17 hours late. I was told by airline employees that the bigger airports tend to lose more cargo than smaller ones. Thank goodness they were still alive but mostly because the shipper used large boxes and oxygen instead of air. Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Viet Dragon

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 18, 2009
illinois
Thanks... and im shipping airport to airport
Best way to ship is airport to airport, same day delivery. Don't use UPS or FedEx as the package might get delayed or lost. But cargo, even if the plane is delayed you can still pick it up when it arrives instead of waiting for the package. Good luck.
Thanks for the info
Like I said it all depends of the size of the tiger

The bigger the tiger the taller they are so need more water in the box and the bigger the box

A 16inch tiger will need a 24inch polybox with min 12inch deep of water

Or the tiger will lay on its side in the box and they don't like it one bit

I know is risky and i really doesnt like...but i been looking for this fish for a while now...
1st tip is don't buy from someone who doesn't guarantee live arrival, way too much risk for a pricey animal like that.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
Thanks..but my smaller airport suck

One thing I have learned recently is to avoid the larger airports if you can help it. I had never had trouble until this week. I bought 2 black rays from a seller in Pennsylvania and the packaged did a layover in Atlanta which is Delta Airlines base of operations. My rays were lost and nobody could find them. They showed up 17 hours late. I was told by airline employees that the bigger airports tend to lose more cargo than smaller ones. Thank goodness they were still alive but mostly because the shipper used large boxes and oxygen instead of air. Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

m_class2g

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2005
Vancouver, Canada
If you want the fish bad enough hou have to take the risk. Big box, pure oxygen and a special type of bag that does not rip. thats what has to be used. Lastly, a lot of luck!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store