Bichir advice

XxPROTERRORxX

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 3, 2012
Kansas
I've had a Delhazi bichir for several months now. My pleco does suck on him some times and I just upgrade tanks so it won't happen much but how does slime coat affect bichirs. Also I'm feeding him shrimp pellets and they are omega one,any other good brand food recomendations. Thanks, Evan

Sent from my iPod touch using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

MFK Ivan

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 13, 2012
Malaysia
As for the pleco,you'll have to remove it immediately if you find it suck frequently on the delh.(But the best is to remove it ASAP,who knows that it might actually do some damage to your delh)
Common and bristlenose plec are fine but not the others.
Plecos can cause death/infection(also leading to death)to bichirs cause their slime coat is like their main dish.
Try hikari's massivore delite or sinking carnivore pellets.Actually any one of the hikari's will do.Fed mine with hikari's goldfish pellets.
You can too try earthworms as bichirs can't resist the taste.
All in all,varied diet is the best.
Cheers. :)

mistahoo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 25, 2012
Houston,Tx
As for food the above is great for them. It puts size on them too! Not all plecos can be kept with bichirs as they like the slime coat on them. They will eat at it and it causes health problems for the bichir. They become more vulnerable to disease that their slime coat usually protects them from. I have 3 baby bichirs and 2 pushing 12"-14" and all of them are getting along with my Albino BN L-144 and butterfly plecos. The plecos don't bother with my bichirs at all, but it's best not to chance it since you said your pleco is sucking on him. I'd remove either the bichir or the pleco.

Ramsey666

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 11, 2012
Singapore
I dont recommend any plecos with bichirs, not even bristlenose or common pleco. i use to house a 7inch pleco with my bichir and occasionally white patches were seen on my bichirs. didnt want to take any chances and removed the pleco.

XxPROTERRORxX

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 3, 2012
Kansas
I try to give my fish as much food variety as possible. The pleco is just a common one and if it continues to suck on him in the 50 gallon, ill give him to a friend of mine whos got plenty of room. I knew it made them much more vunerable but i never knew they could die. Thankks very much for the great information! Evan

MFK Ivan

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 13, 2012
Malaysia
The only plec that will work with bichirs as I mentioned : bristlenose and common
I kept a bristlenose with my delh for 3 months or so and till now I didn't see my plec sucking off my delh's coat.
The white blotches on my delh's head were probably parasites or rubbing on ornaments.
So,no worries. :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store