Anchor worms.. and Gar

MonsterMinis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2009
Wisconsin
So my new lil' guy has anchor worms... bad enough hes got a semi prolapsed rectum ( or at least thats how inflamed/bad it looks atm) I treated the tank with prazi-pro.. but usually I treat anchor worms with clout... which is a pretty hard hitter. I know better then to try and manually remove them, but any suggestions on how to treat this? or will the prazi work after a few treatments?

btw this is day 2 after treatment and hes doing fine, no major redness or bleeding/swelling ect.. but it is deffinately inflamed, and I can count at least 4 worms but i'de put good money theres more then that. hes so small and the worms are packed together. Hes swimming, and doing great otherwise so i'm hopeig i caught it early enough not to see any long-term problems from it.

E_americanus

Penguin Lover
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2004
Louisiana
primitivefishes.com
-hi Amy,

i would stick with the prazi-pro; praziquantel based meds have always worked for me in the past reGARding anchor worms and gars. definitely find it to be the safest and most effective outside of using heat/salt (which also helps). keep us posted, and it may just take a couple rounds of treatment (has in the past for myself as well). good luck!--
--solomon

MonsterMinis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2009
Wisconsin
round 2 and they look much better. still expelling worms, but they all look dead. I just upped the temp abit. ( 78, the tank was 72) How often can I treat them? I spaced the first 2 treatmenst approx 7 days apart, and did a 50% mid week.. then another 50% before the second dose went in. I'm not running carbon on the tank. I also did a 75% dose. so 3/4 tsp per 20 opposed to the full dose ( easy since atm they are in a 20) still eating like pigs, but the FLG has stayed pretty dark. he also hangs out at the top all the time unless eating. I'm assuming hes pretty heavy w/ worms and is working threw them. some gasping but the water perameters are all reading on target, no ammonia or nitrite. and nitrates below 20ppm.

Should I wait a few weeks or treat again? worried if i treat to often it'll do more damage then good, but on the otherhand don't want the parasites to develop immunities to the prazi either. I only treat the big tank every 6 monthes or so unless I see parasites/white poop ( which knock on wood hasn't happened yet)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store