baby datnoid tankmates?

wantokeeptrout

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2011
Ontario
Ive got a baby (little over 1 inch) indo datnoid currently in a heavily planted 29. As awesome as he is however, i want to add a little more activity to the tank. I would like to hear your recommendations for this tank. i'm definitely getting some sort of pleco or loach bottom feeder but i also want a more active inhabitant that will not become food too soon, and yes this 29 is a growout, the datnoid will be going into a 75, then a 100+ that is currently under construction and to be finished next year.

hes really aggressive for a datnoid (or what i thought was the standard for datnoids), he stood up to an astatotilapia breeding harem, which i upgraded due to the males aggression to the females if it helps with the stocking

FuriousFish

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 8, 2012
America

wantokeeptrout

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2011
Ontario
i'm making the tank very heavily planted, will the clowns uproot plants or mind a very cluttered bottom (most of the plants are about 1/3rd the tank height plus some driftwood), if it would work i'm interested in them though? and i don't have the space or money for more dats. the big tank stocklist is the single dat and a spiny eel. I was somewhat hoping for stock that would not outgrow the 29 quickly as well as put some action near the top of the tank

strollo22

Siamese Tiger
MFK Member
May 21, 2012
Datnoid Island
I have heard of loaches eating plants but I've never had that problem. Loaches are also very slow growers after 4" so you should have plenty of time before they outgrow the tank.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

wantokeeptrout

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2011
Ontario
thanks for the info, did a little research of my own, i'm more of fan of fish from the same geographic area aside from clean up crew would these option work out:

1-3 farlowella plecos or 1-3 bushynose pleco

a school of mid sized barbs/rasboras/rainbowfish or a few small to mid sized gourami (eg opaline, pearl, moonlight etc...)

a group of botia loaches (current sale species are skunk loaches, yoyo loaches, red tail botia, or clown loaches)

1 red tail black shark or ruby shark

strollo22

Siamese Tiger
MFK Member
May 21, 2012
Datnoid Island
Plecos are good, I would do bushynose (less waste). Barbs will work as long as Datnoids aren't big enough to eat them. Rainbow sharks can be slightly aggressive but shouldn't be a problem. Datnoids tend to be aggressive to each others, not so much other fish.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store