My gar is going crazy !!

xellos

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2012
Beirut, Lebanon
I have a a 13 inch Florida gar which i raised since he was 6 inches in like 5 months time . last week he stopped eating and started swimming in a bizarre way , swimming upside down and rolling on its sides on the bottem of the tank ... whats wrong with him ? he was fine before ?? is he gonna die ?

xellos

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2012
Beirut, Lebanon
no change in diet , he was eating white fish fillets and occasional feeders ...
and Im doin 50 % water changes regularly like before !
Need help please dont wanna lose my gar they are really hard to get in lebanon !!

arowanaryan

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2011
North Attleboro
sounds like he may have ick and is trying to scratch it off on the bottom of the tank... read the "Ick" sticky for more information in the freshwater disease section.

xellos

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2012
Beirut, Lebanon
[video=youtube;vGzBvlQ4R6g]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGzBvlQ4R6g&feature=plcp[/video]

Here is a video ? is he going to die ?

E_americanus

Penguin Lover
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2004
Louisiana
primitivefishes.com
sounds like he may have ick and is trying to scratch it off on the bottom of the tank... read the "Ick" sticky for more information in the freshwater disease section.
definitely not ich.

[video=youtube;vGzBvlQ4R6g]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGzBvlQ4R6g&feature=plcp[/video]

Here is a video ? is he going to die ?
sorry to hear about your gar. it is difficult to see if there is a spinal injury here, it looks like there may be some irregularity right behind the head, but again, tough to say. the behavior is definitely unusual compared to most spinal injuries. i had a couple Cubans that freaked out like this and actually went into spasms before clearing up completely. i would isolate the gar and give it a relatively shallow tank with good aeration and hopefully it will come around. keeping it in this tank with all the wood and all the other fishes is probably not helping. i think in this case all you can do is wait and see (other than isolating the fish) and hope that it will recover on its own. keeping it in a lower water level tank will allow it access to surface for breathing more easily as it clearly has issues controlling basic movements. good luck and keep us posted--
--solomon

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store