nicest gar

ampthefrogguy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 27, 2011
Between a Rock and a Hard Place...
Florida by far. Shorties are too but are tough to find and tend to break their own backs.

Slippery K

Piranha
MFK Member
Dec 5, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Floridas have the coolest colours and patterns in my opinion. But alligator gars are the coolest for sure. But you need a swimming pool for those beasts.

Sent from my GT-I5510M using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Lepisosteus platyrhincus

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2008
In the caiman den
It depends on what you mean by nice.
This. Each gar has its place.

SNG, immensly active but lacks pattern typically, ime kinda skinny
FLG, most common, cool patterns
SPG, see above but rarer. I miss mine :(
LNG, larger, skinnier, cool pattern

Then you,have your gators,cubans and trops which have thier own cool features. Of course you also have hybrids

CoryWentland

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2012
Minnesota
There is no species of gar that is generally nicer than the other. If you want a true gar that is easy to care for I would recommend the Florida Gar Lepisosteus platyrhicus due to them being one of the smallest gars reaching around 20 inches in the aquarium. They generally will not nip or bully the other fish but they will eat any fish smaller than 2/3 of the gar's body length if it is hungry enough. If 20 inches is too big for you, then you could probably get away with getting Either the Striped or Spotted Pike Characin Boulengerella lateristriga and B. maculata, the Hujeta Pike Characin Ctenolujus hujeta, or the Asian Needlefish Xentodon cancilla. Each one of these fish are commonly sold as Marbled gar, Striped Gar, Boulengerella Gar, Rocket Gar, Slant-nosed Gar, Needlenose Gar, and Asian Gar, but they are not true gars. Each one of these fish will reach a maximum length at around a foot long, some getting slightly larger. Hope this helps!

ultimatejay

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 19, 2006
USA
There is no species of gar that is generally nicer than the other. If you want a true gar that is easy to care for I would recommend the Florida Gar Lepisosteus platyrhicus due to them being one of the smallest gars reaching around 20 inches in the aquarium. They generally will not nip or bully the other fish but they will eat any fish smaller than 2/3 of the gar's body length if it is hungry enough. If 20 inches is too big for you, then you could probably get away with getting Either the Striped or Spotted Pike Characin Boulengerella lateristriga and B. maculata, the Hujeta Pike Characin Ctenolujus hujeta, or the Asian Needlefish Xentodon cancilla. Each one of these fish are commonly sold as Marbled gar, Striped Gar, Boulengerella Gar, Rocket Gar, Slant-nosed Gar, Needlenose Gar, and Asian Gar, but they are not true gars. Each one of these fish will reach a maximum length at around a foot long, some getting slightly larger. Hope this helps!
I disagree, I think gator gar are far more aggressive than Florida/Spotted/long nose. Cuban gar can be pretty aggressive too. But true gator gar are by far the most aggressive. They will snap at most all silver colored fish and will try to eat most fish they think they can swallow and some they can't.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

fwprawn

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2011
New England
I don't know - I've had two gator gars so far - and one is still with me - both were young, but very gentle. Maybe they get more aggressive when they are larger ?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store