Pellet training

Rafini

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2012
Calgary, Canada
I have a small 2-3 inch Indo dat and I have had him for around 2-3 weeks now. He has grown and he has also been feeding well and seems to be very happy. Right now he eats Fathead minnows as treats and an assortment of frozen food like Bloodworms and brineshrimp etc.

He totally ignores the Shrimp pellets I feed to the bichirs, and also ignores floating pellets.

I would like to know how to get him onto pellets, should I wait til he hits 5-6" or is it better to start early?

The tank has lots of hiding spots with driftwood rocks and fake plants, If I was to remove a lot of the decor would this promote him to go after floating pellets? Or would he just cower in the corner?

maximus1006

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2012
ny
I got lucky mine love hykari pellits,but what i did was make the pellits bite size. I take 1 pellit and brake it into small bits they do sink but my dats go to the serfice to feed... Good luck if u starve a day or a week he will eat the pellits soon enough....

Sent from my MB855 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Rafini

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2012
Calgary, Canada
So there is no way he would starve himself to death as long as I am offering food?

eklikewhoa

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2012
Nha Trang, Vietnam
I have mine in a comm tank with some very aggressive eaters and I would mix pellets with frozen mysis shrimp. Didn't take long before it was waiting to snatch pellets when someone walked up to the tank.

maximus1006

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2012
ny
He should start taking pellits if thats all u feed for a few days,elk mine come to the front of thr tank and beg lol

Sent from my MB855 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Rafini

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2012
Calgary, Canada
okay thats good news then thanks, il keep feeding nothing but shrimp pellets until he is interested in them. I also have some hikari gold that I might try

Rafini

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2012
Calgary, Canada
I Put some hikari gold in, just 2 pellets my ornate bichir ate one. which is shocking. not sure what happened to the other but I guess either the dat had it or the bichir did.
2 questions:

1. Should I add something that will feed from the top for the dat to copy? If so what?
2. How long should I "Starve" him before it becomes dangerous?

cullens089

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 9, 2007
Canton,Michigan
ive had good results with hikari bio gold and floating sticks and mine takes em no problem

Rafini

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2012
Calgary, Canada
Shall I just throw about 4 or 5 in there ? the bichirs seem to be growing quite keen of them, so when i put one or 2 in they are gone instantly

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store