Datnoid color

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
I have a 5 inch indo dat that I got a couple weeks ago. So far the only thing he is eating is shrimp that I stuff cichlid pelets in. He is always at the front of the tank when I am around, looking for a handout. My problem is, the gold is almost all gone. It was good when I got him, but you can hardly tell the bars from what should be gold. Any ideas on what my problem could be? He is in a 150 with only 2 angelfish and a pleco, so it sure isn't stress from other fish. Thanks for any thoughts.

ILikeBichirs

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2012
somewhere
Im not a pro but i beleive thats just normal instablility. Alot of datnoids do it and no one really knows why. Sometimes they will be gold and then turn instable and go black and vice versa. He should be perfectly healthy just not stable.

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
Im not a pro but i beleive thats just normal instablility. Alot of datnoids do it and no one really knows why. Sometimes they will be gold and then turn instable and go black and vice versa. He should be perfectly healthy just not stable.
Thanks, sounds reasonable to me.

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
Well, I guess problem solved. I put a 10" red belly pacu in today, and my dat is now "normal" looking, and swimming openly. I guess the 2 angelfish and the plec were not exciting enough for him.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store