Cichla Q & A

kendragon

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2009
There are so many ways to raise cichlas so let's share some ideas. I've only been into cichlas for a little over 2 years and still learning based on what people post. I often don't comment but take in the good and bad. I believe we should be able to come out and ask questions amongst each other freely. I would like to start this thread to allow or draw people out to ask questions from specific members and hopefully that person is kind enough to answer and if not, no hard feelings. There is no wrong or right, so take what you want and leave what you don't. I'm sure people would like to know how you do it. There are still some OGs out there so pick their brain and take it to the next level. Nothing worst than losing fish or ruining potential not knowing. Got this idea from what Arttyfish posted tonight about learning and sharing.
I'll start by asking myself a question.

Q: kendragon why did you pick the cichlas you have?
A: I didn't. It is what was available from Wes at the time. I don't like to pay for shipping and he's a short drive away. My real interest is in filtration to bring out color and growth.

ArttyFish

Candiru
MFK Member
May 22, 2008
The Land Of Fish Lovers
Hey KenDragon, I would like to tell you and everyone about my tank set up so maybe it can give you ideas. First my tank is an Acrylic 1 inch thick all around custom made and custom shape tank with rounded front and top sides and corners. The dimensions are 6 feet long by 5 feet wide by 30 inches tall. Till this day I do not know anyone here or anywhere on MFK that has the same dimensions as my tank! Which roughly makes it about 560 gallons. I have dubbed it by my term The "Hot Tub" Tank because of the shape and size. I have a 150 gallon TruVu Sump filled with bioballs in the dry section for water to trickle and about 70-80 pounds of ceramic bio-ring media in the wet submerged section. That then feeds my industrial recreational spa hot tub pump that feeds into my Aqua Ultraviolet Ultima II 2000 model pond filter with backflush capabilities. My monster pump is literally meant to run spas and hot tubs for people to relax in so the flow is so intense and powerful! I also have 3 overflow towers which flows like Niagra Falls from the fast water being return into the tank after the filters. Well the overflow was so fast and loud that it was noisy and hard to sleep so I figured out a way to silence the water by adding about another 50 pounds of bio media ceramic rings, piling it up to the top in each overflow towers so the water actually trickle down casually and quietly while allowing me to have more bio media filtration! I thought I was a genius for coming up with that idea! So you can see how much money was put into just those damn ceramic bio media! But I believe all the money we spend on rare fishes we all better have the muscle beefy filtration to keep our fish friends happy and alive. I am a firm believer in the concept of "OVER-FILTRATION" if that is even possible:headbang2

kendragon

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2009
Q: ArttyFish, what do you use for mechanical filtration and is there enough water in the sump to backwash the Ultima?

ArttyFish

Candiru
MFK Member
May 22, 2008
The Land Of Fish Lovers
Q: ArttyFish, what do you use for mechanical filtration and is there enough water in the sump to backwash the Ultima?
Man Mr. KenDragon, you are sharp and smart. Yeah when I do a back flush I also run another 1.5 overflow directly from the tank to the sump where my pump gets water to do the back flush. I am amazed and impressed you figured out that the water would not be enough from just the overflow. You are a smart one!
Yeah you will be surprised that the Ultima II does 100% of the mechanical filtration for me! Go to their website and watch their video about how their filter operates. Their patented media traps crud very good and the back flush technique is flawless! I can not emphazise how much I love Aqua Ultraviolet Filters. Own one and you will also be a believer!

kendragon

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2009
I was there when AquaUltraviolet owner Ron James made the Preditor filter which was great for mechanical but clogged easily. It was superseded by the Ultima which changed out the bead media to todays media. Seen the demo unit at many shows. Very effective. Nice.

gangster

Arapaima
MFK Member
Apr 17, 2008
mountains
Kendragon Q- When can we see your broko's fts?

Artty- Q- What do you run for filtration on your growout tanks?

Kendragon Q- How would you compare the Ultima filters w/ their bead media compared to the ones you use w/ the glass media? WHat are the pros and cons of each?

HULON

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 14, 2009
in the now!!

Kendragon Q- How would you compare the Ultima filters w/ their bead media compared to the ones you use w/ the glass media? WHat are the pros and cons of each?
I'll answer that one Morgan Hands down Kens glass filter litterally Blows the Ultima out of the water for mechanical filtration and provides Bio needed on my tank ...That being said the glass filter is "NOT" for a lazy man because it traps every particle whether large or small ESPEACIALLY with large BIO loads when it's full it's full and therefore you have literally almost 0 flow. You have to maintain Religeously witch is not a Bad thing but absolutley great in my mind all the Organic matter is trapped ALL OF IT !!!!! Then Backwash restart with a pristine filter all of your Bio intact with a perfectly clean filter that does not throw some of the waste back in your system like sock and Ultimas This is just my opinion take it for what it is Fellas I think my fish speak for themselves you make up your own i spend alot of time maintaining just the little things make a difference to me and i think it shows with my fish you be the judge Just sit back and think about it:D:D;)

kendragon

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2009
A: Probably never. The 6 brokos were my first cichlas and I ruined them. I did not know what I was doing. First, I did not give it the proper diet when I first got them which stunted their growth (look at Artty's broko or Hulon's ocell). My biggest is a 14" male. Second, they have scars from HITH because of poor water quality. They were fine till I took it out of the growout tank and placed them in the 240G. I found out that filtration needs for a 55, 180, 240, 500, 800, 1000g all are different. So it may work for one but not the other. My troubles were I wasn't turning enough water and nitrate got out of hand due to difficulties in cleaning and WC. That's why I moved away from sumps.
This is only my opinion: Brokos, tems, pinimas, and intermedias require super water qualty and circulation. Probably because they stress more.
I'm going to give my try at breeding like OG High City Rida. They are only two years old and spawning but I won't push it till they hit three. Good thing they are WC.
Artty has the baddest and biggest Broko. Game over.

A: I'm into polishing water and the glass does that. Also the glass is a rapid filter system. My filter is the size of a UltimaII 1000 but turns 3000gph. I do not run it with any additional sumps or filter. Hugh runs his in conjunction with a sump system and summed it up pretty good. Thanks

ArttyFish

Candiru
MFK Member
May 22, 2008
The Land Of Fish Lovers
Gangster- Answer-
Om my grow out 240 gallon 8 foot tank, I run a single FX5 but I built a custom spraybar that spans the entire length of the tank with drilled holes every 8 inches so the return water is evenly circulating in the entire 8 feet of tank. Plus the spray bar is just slightly about the water line so it jets fresh oxygen directly into the water so I don't have to run an extra powerhead or air pump. I am a Genius!!!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store