Baby datnoid weaning pellets

mr.bigglesworth

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2012
By SF, Farther Inland, NorCal
Hi everyone I have a tiny, tiny indo that is maybe 1/2". I bought him in december and he was micro. He hasn't grown much at all. I still haven't been able to pellet train him. I only feed frozen bloodworms 2x weekly. That's all he will eat. At one point 2 months ago he inhaled a pellet but spit it out. Unfortunately I wasnt thinking and the next day I feed bloodworms to him. My reason for not feeding bloodworms more often is his tankmates. They are extremely sensitive to protein bloating. I ran out of bloodworms 4 days ago and I have to wait till tommorow to get more. I feed this tank an extremely varied diet, majorly nls because pellet size is a problem with the tiny fish. I also feed algae wafers, omega1, hikari, floating hikari pellets, very finely crushed flakes, and ill drop some duckweed and watersprite in from time to time for the cichlids. Also blanched veggies for the plecos. How do I wean the datnoid off worms? Since he's only 1/2". This is the 20gal growout I'm talking about. Any suggestions?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

L600

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 11, 2011
MI
First off love the split bar. Second of all you are just not simply feeding him enough. Switch over to slice up frozen shrimp. You can either crush up the NLS and cover the shrimp in the NLS powder, freeze it and then feed the dat that. Or just stuff the frozen shrimp with NLS and feed the dat that. I find it that my dats prefer hikari over NLS. Also you have gotta feed him more, I know dats are slow growing but when little they get decent size pretty fast. If its been half a year and he hasn't grown at all I wouldn't be surprise if he was stunted.

mr.bigglesworth

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2012
First off love the split bar. Second of all you are just not simply feeding him enough. Switch over to slice up frozen shrimp. You can either crush up the NLS and cover the shrimp in the NLS powder, freeze it and then feed the dat that. Or just stuff the frozen shrimp with NLS and feed the dat that. I find it that my dats prefer hikari over NLS. Also you have gotta feed him more, I know dats are slow growing but when little they get decent size pretty fast. If its been half a year and he hasn't grown at all I wouldn't be surprise if he was stunted.
He's actually got 2 different patterns. Split bar on one side, symmetric on other. He has doubled in overall bodymass/size if not tripled size. More tall and wider not much more length though.

mr.bigglesworth

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2012
Yeah after comparing pics I guess he's gotten bigger. My parents even say so and they come in the room like once a month. He's begun to show interest in pellets. He swallowed but spit some out again today.

djaalix

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 25, 2011
Mahopac Falls, NY
mine are doing the same thing, its a great sign ... its only a matter of time till they eat it once they mouth it

Sent from my DROID RAZR using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

L600

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 11, 2011
MI
He does look bulkier, but he should really be bigger. All my little .25- .5" dats I got grew to about 5-6" in 6 months.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store