Some Gar photos to share - including one new fish.

fwprawn

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2011
New England
Here are a bunch of photos taken today. Pardon the cloudy water.

First is a full tank shot - can you find all seven inhabitants? (There is one more, an American eel, who is NEVER seen.) There are four gars, and each is a different species.

Second is an unusually marked gar that has since been identified as Florida by our homegrown pros! (I had thought it was something different.)

Next two are my gator.

Last but not least, is my newest addition, thanks Ben! For those of you who don't know, take a guess at what it is!

Hope you enjoy!

get-attachment-1.aspx.jpeg

get-attachment-3.aspx.jpeg

get-attachment-4.aspx.jpeg

get-attachment-7.aspx.jpeg

get-attachment-5.aspx.jpeg

Mount_Prion

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2012
center of the universe
Awesome to see the gar in a good home. Really dig the spots on the gator!

fwprawn

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2011
New England
Thanks! Now that you mention it, I want to thank Scott for the gator and florida.
Now I just need to start the ball rolling on their next tank! They all are a big hit with the kids, as this tank is part of my nature classroom.

fwprawn

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2011
New England
PS - I find it very interesting how similar the markings on the Florida gar and the Tropical Gar are, on the front half of the body, with that broad horizontal brown band.

fwprawn

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2011
New England
Hi, I knew you would say that! :)
I've never had issues with cichlids and gars together - obviously I won't put a highly aggressive cichlid with gars, though. They get along fantastic, for me, anyway.

E_americanus

Penguin Lover
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2004
Louisiana
primitivefishes.com
Hi, I knew you would say that! :)
I've never had issues with cichlids and gars together - obviously I won't put a highly aggressive cichlid with gars, though. They get along fantastic, for me, anyway.
not sure why a midas cichlid (or at least that's what it looks like) isn't considered aggressive...these combos eventually cause problems, and aren't always evident right away (how long as this entire community been in place? a few weeks? months?) good luck--
--solomon

FuriousFish

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 8, 2012
America
Nice!

fwprawn

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2011
New England
Thanks!
And that is actually a pink Tilapia.
In the past, I've had gars in my Cichlid tanks, with zero issues, and again, with this group, no issues.
Maybe I have been fortunate in making good choices. That said, I certainly would not keep them with Midas, Devils, Festae, Buttikoferi, etc.

E_americanus

Penguin Lover
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2004
Louisiana
primitivefishes.com
Thanks!
And that is actually a pink Tilapia.
In the past, I've had gars in my Cichlid tanks, with zero issues, and again, with this group, no issues.
Maybe I have been fortunate in making good choices. That said, I certainly would not keep them with Midas, Devils, Festae, Buttikoferi, etc.
ok my bad on the cichlid ID...that being said, i would say you've been lucky as opposed to "making good choices" as the evidence of gars and cichlids (of virtually any species) being a bad combo is well-documented. you also didn't say how long this combo has been working out so well for you.

in the end, to each their own as you aren't necessarily recommending the combo to others. good luck with your fishes, and nice addition with the TPG--
--solomon

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store