good pellets for gar?

jpcampbell123

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2011
In the water
mine went ga ga over the hikari massivore pellets they seemed to eat the sinking ones better but i am sure they would eat the floating ones too.

john

fwprawn

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2011
New England
I don't see how gars would eat sinking pellets ?
Hikari is great - I use their large pellet - They don't care what kind. Don't overfeed them, though.

fwprawn

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2011
New England
That's not a great idea, for a couple of reasons - first, he could swallow gravel by mistake, or worse yet, he could harm his snout by banging against the bottom of the tank, or a rock, etc.

pharmaecopia

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 21, 2010
Ontario, Canada
That's not a great idea, for a couple of reasons - first, he could swallow gravel by mistake, or worse yet, he could harm his snout by banging against the bottom of the tank, or a rock, etc.
All 60 of my gars will eat off the bottom without any issues. They are fed a variety of different floating and sinking pellets/foods. Any gravel that might be taken with the food is promptly spit out. You're far more likely to have a gar damage it snout if it gets spooked than by eating appropriately sized food items off the bottom.

GinBlack

Candiru
MFK Member
May 15, 2009
New York
I give my gars Hikari Jumbo Carnisticks. They are pretty big and I dont have to give him as much! They float as well. But my gars will eating floating food or go towards the bottom to hunt if they want to.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store