New dat... problems already :( could do with some advice...

Ian21777

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 16, 2012
England
Hi, I just got my first tigerfish today, awesome little guy, about 3 inches long. Was sold as a siamese tiger, im assuming microlepsis. Anyway this is my first post in this part of the forum so hello to everyone :) Ok, so heres the problem... Like I said new tiger, about 3 inch long, seems quite happy although very skinny with concave belly. Im not worried about this cus most fish are skinny when you get them... Hes minding his business swimming around exploring his new home... But he seems to have made an enemy already... My firemouth (same size as the tiger, but nice and fat) HATES him, and everytime he sees him chases him frantically till the tiger gets out of eyeline... Now i know cichlids can be nasty little pieces of work, but firemouths generally arent too bad, and the one i have is very placid normally. There doesnt seem to be any actual violence going on, at least not yet... just chasing but im sure it isnt very nice for the tiger... Should I be worried? Assuming he isnt being physically harmed, is being chased going to bother him to the point of harm? Ive never had a tiger b4 and although Im sure there would be little issue if he was bigger and well fed, is he able to take being hounded around the tank? Dont get me wrong, it isnt constant, the firemouth isnt constantly hunting him down, its only if he actually sees him, chases for a bit, loses him and thats that. at least till next time he sees him! Push comes to shove the firemouth will have to go, but im hoping it will settle down, i mean, its only been 3 hours since the tiger arrived. Any ideas anyone? All help much appreciated. Oh, tank is 48x22x16, I know it isnt big enough, but it is only going to be for about 6 months when i will be getting a 72x24x24. tankmates are filament barbs, bichir, leopard bushfish, flying fox, bristlenose, hoplo.

Thanks in advance :)

probassfisher010

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2011
California
Fire mouths have weak jaws, so shouldnt do much damage, but it still is probably stressing your dat out. Try re arranging the tank with a big water change, and add more plants etc to block line of sight and add caves

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Mount_Prion

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2012
center of the universe
Also, if it's 3'' it's not a Siamese. Probably an Indo. But yeah I think you have the correct latin name.

Ian21777

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 16, 2012
England
Indonesian? Ill give it a go with the waterchange and re arrange. cant really add many more plants though. Is his colouring normal for only just 'moving in'? Could someone tell me what a stable or unstable dat is? Is it visible stripes as opposed to all one colour? Also, and im not disputing what you are saying, what has size to do with the species? Thanks guys :)

DSCF2822.JPG

L600

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 11, 2011
MI
Indonesian? Ill give it a go with the waterchange and re arrange. cant really add many more plants though. Is his colouring normal for only just 'moving in'? Could someone tell me what a stable or unstable dat is? Is it visible stripes as opposed to all one colour? Also, and im not disputing what you are saying, what has size to do with the species? Thanks guys :)
Stable= looking good, bars are completely black and there is a great contrast between stripes and body color
unstable= looks terrible, stripes are less black and body color darkens up OR pale color overall

At the moment your tiger looks unstable. Don't worry tigers can turn stable or unstable any moment. Chances are your tiger will turn stable once it gets use to your tank. An unstable tiger is just as healthy as a stable tiger, only real difference is that a stable tiger is just better looking at the moment. ST are almost completely extinct in the wild, so there are no baby ST left. All the ST left are probably now full grown and big. The picture you provided confirms that this is a micro AKA IT.

dat_tiger

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 15, 2008
boston
That's an indo and it looks pretty stable. From the pic its stomach looks pretty empty is it eating for you yet

strollo22

Siamese Tiger
MFK Member
May 21, 2012
Datnoid Island
Just make sure you have a hiding place for him until he feels more comfortable in the tank. He'll establish himself as the dominant one eventually. Dats can hold their own pretty well.

Ian21777

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 16, 2012
England
Cool, that explains a lot, thankyou. Sucks that ST are extinct, didnt realise that. Gonna rehome the firemouth- all of a sudden he has started beating on my bushfish aswell- guess the tiger sent him over the edge lol. There are plenty of hiding places in there for him, roots/ caves, tunnnels etc, so like you say hopefully he will settle in soon enough. Considering he arrived by courrier this morning he seems to be doing fine. He has eaten some bloodworm, not a massive amount, but shows me he is willing. There are a few bits of fish and a couple krill waiting to be eaten too, but he hasnt found them yet. Not sure if he will entertain pelets, Ill find out later when i feed b4 bed. He looks almost white, is that also part of settling in or is that cus he is young? Thanks for baring with me evryone :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store