Gars Eating Pellets?

CoryWentland

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2012
Minnesota
Hey, I was wondering if anyone could tell me how to get my gars to start eating pellets and what kind of pellets to get. My gars currently only eat live feeder fish and I give them and the other fish around 5 dozen medium size to large size goldfish and then 3 dozen large rosie red minnows (fat head minnows). I do not like feeding them goldfish due to my knowledge of not being the healthiest choice of food and being so fatty. So any other options to feeding the gars other foods would help a lot! thanks!

Swarsh

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2011
UK
What size is he ?
I got mine at around 5-6 inch, as soon as it landed in my tank all I gave was pellets took approx 1week for it to start eating pellets.
I used aro food sticks (floating) then changed to massivores (easy change)
People went crazy at me on mfk when I first asked saying my fish will die 100% but it's been over 5 months and it's healthy and FAT !

I had a couple of hujeta gars, flag tail and silver aro with it and those were taking pellets already so that may of helped a little.

Basically just starve that's the method I used and have used for all my fish.
Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

CoryWentland

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2012
Minnesota
Mine are 10" and 15". I think they're ready to take pellets, but they wont even it dead feeder fish... How do I get them to start taking pellets when all theyre used to are live feeder fish?

biggin

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2008
Somewhere
Stave them... get them on shrimp and frozen first and they will come around to pellets...

Massivore is a good pellet to get them on, but good luck getting them off it.

CoryWentland

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2012
Minnesota
Stave them... get them on shrimp and frozen first and they will come around to pellets...

Massivore is a good pellet to get them on, but good luck getting them off it.
Okay, I'll try frozen food, but I doubt I'll have luck as They wont even eat the dead feeders, they leave them for the catfish and pacu.

E_americanus

Penguin Lover
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2004
Louisiana
primitivefishes.com
Mine are 10" and 15". I think they're ready to take pellets, but they wont even it dead feeder fish... How do I get them to start taking pellets when all theyre used to are live feeder fish?
offer up freeze dried krill to convert them...works in pretty much every case (time to success is variable). the krill smells and is brightly colored and floats, so it works well as a conversion food. i have converted large wild spotted gars with this feed; it will work for you. just offer it each day and nothing else until they take it...they will come around. from there you can get them on floating pellets. good luck--
--solomon

CoryWentland

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2012
Minnesota
offer up freeze dried krill to convert them...works in pretty much every case (time to success is variable). the krill smells and is brightly colored and floats, so it works well as a conversion food. i have converted large wild spotted gars with this feed; it will work for you. just offer it each day and nothing else until they take it...they will come around. from there you can get them on floating pellets. good luck--
--solomon
Will do! Thanks, i feel bad having to almost force them into it, but I dont have the time to go pick up feeders all the time and breeding my own isnt really an option.

Cichlaholics Anonymous

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 23, 2006
Miami, Florida
If for some reason it refuses pellets try at least weaning it into frozen smelt or silversides

Sent from my LG-LS696 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store