Bowfin Attack

pharmaecopia

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 21, 2010
Ontario, Canada
One of the bowfins got beat up by one of my other bowfins. Attached are some pics of the damage. Will be separating this girl tomorrow after I move around some fish. I am planning on the stardard clean water, salt and heat treatment. Anything else that should be done?

201_0812.JPG

201_0813.JPG

sbuse

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2009
IN YOUR HEAD
this brings up memories, hope she comes around for you. someone was trying to say before that bowfins lacked the tools to rip fish open.....:nono:

you sure it was another bowfin and not a gator? though it looks like a bowfin attack the possibility is there. if you know witch bowfin i would remove it as it will not stop once it has started.

pharmaecopia

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 21, 2010
Ontario, Canada
this brings up memories, hope she comes around for you. someone was trying to say before that bowfins lacked the tools to rip fish open.....:nono:

I'm hoping so too, this is the girl from the first pair that I got, would hate to lose her. Bowfin's definitely can do some damage, last fish the bowfins killed had it's bottom jaw and throat ripped out.

Pretty sure it was one of the bowfins, I;ve seen gator bites and this seems far worse. Don't know which bowfin, but I have a hunch that it might be the male. The other three females show some minor cuts/scrapes, but the male seems fine.

isde02

Arapaima
MFK Member
Jan 4, 2011
Ohio

you sure it was another bowfin and not a gator? though it looks like a bowfin attack the possibility is there. if you know witch bowfin i would remove it as it will not stop once it has started.
Theres a old thread comparing a bowfin to a snakehead and it shows the two fish side by side....bowfins teeth are just as sharp as snakeheads teeth, they are just laid out differently.

sbuse

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2009
IN YOUR HEAD
I'm hoping so too, this is the girl from the first pair that I got, would hate to lose her. Bowfin's definitely can do some damage, last fish the bowfins killed had it's bottom jaw and throat ripped out.

Pretty sure it was one of the bowfins, I;ve seen gator bites and this seems far worse. Don't know which bowfin, but I have a hunch that it might be the male. The other three females show some minor cuts/scrapes, but the male seems fine.
i would watch that bowfin it may need to be removed and a new male may be needed.

Theres a old thread comparing a bowfin to a snakehead and it shows the two fish side by side....bowfins teeth are just as sharp as snakeheads teeth, they are just laid out differently.
i know i have been bitten by them and i have them., infact i have a vid of my bowfin eating a gatf in a thread.

pharmaecopia

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 21, 2010
Ontario, Canada
i would watch that bowfin it may need to be removed and a new male may be needed.

i know i have been bitten by them and i have them., infact i have a vid of my bowfin eating a gatf in a thread.

Will definitely be watching for any further aggression. And will remove if needed.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store