using other fish to pellet train datnoids

Rafini

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2012
Calgary, Canada
I think I read somewhere that if you have fast eating surface feeders in the tank that the datnoid slowly learns to follow their example and surface feed.
if this is true what species would you recommend? i'm thinking some kind of barb or other characin that won't bother the datnoid?

Right now in grow out the Dat is housed with bichirs and an irwini catfish. so nobody feeds openly from the surface

Thanks for the advice
Rafini

Rafini

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2012
Calgary, Canada
and the oscar wouldn't bother my bichirs or dat? I'd have to get a very small one, around the same size as the dat.
Can I add if the oscar outgrows them then he can go into my 225 with my other oscar, flagtail and pink tailed chalceus, all are around 4-5" I don't have any adult fish yet

I can't blame my dat for not feeding from pellets if he can't see any other fish taking them

Redbellypiranha

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 13, 2010
Colorado
and the oscar wouldn't bother my bichirs or dat? I'd have to get a very small one, around the same size as the dat.
Can I add if the oscar outgrows them then he can go into my 225 with my other oscar, flagtail and pink tailed chalceus, all are around 4-5" I don't have any adult fish yet

I can't blame my dat for not feeding from pellets if he can't see any other fish taking them
I have kept oscars with both data and bichirs before successfully. And as long as all fish are bigger than each others mouth they all should be fine.

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Rafini

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2012
Calgary, Canada
yeah but I don't want the managuense to destroy my other tankmates, I'm going for more of a large peaceful predator community. oscars are usually very peaceful and I'd rather avoid an aggressive species like parachromis (as cool as they are)
I do have a soft spot for oscars though, any other suggestions?

I'd like to thank you all for the fast responses too

Rafini

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2012
Calgary, Canada
I'm worried that the oscar won't let any food get down to my Bichirs, although I'm thinking that any surface feeding fish will be greedy like this. Any suggestions for hiding the food for the bichirs?
I was thinking to feed them at night or physically stick my hand in and put the food onto the gravel

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store