Inheriting unstocked massive pond. What to stock?

Status
Not open for further replies.

knifegill

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
Oscar Tummy
Buying a house. Has natural stream-fed, hard-pan dug-out pond of approx 30,000 gallons. Freezes a little in winter, most likely. Starts out about 9' deep and shallows out to around 2 feet. Has dark enclave in the deep. Monster can hide.

Thinking oddball coldwater here. Something that can handle a winter and freeze-over. There are thousands of coldwater fish I've never heard of that I could put in here. I'm thinking sturgeon, wels, LMB, blue catfish, but what would YOU, my dear enthusiast, put into the cold void?

Part of me wants to throw ungodly amounts of different sunfish in there, but I know I really want that giant wet pet.

austos12

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2012
Washington
i would put tons of different sunfish in it, get a big sturgeon and put it in there! those things live forever! if your anywhere near the west coast get your license and catch one, size limits depend on states but are anywhere from 4 ft to 5 1/12 long (nose to tail) but some bass, and maybe even some trout would be cool!

austos12

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2012
Washington
if you wanted to go a different route a BIG pike or Muskie would be awesome!

fatboy8

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2012
Philadelphia
I'd say wels catfish if you can get your hands on them. That'd be real cool. Just remember they eat a ton. Also the sturgeon is a must have. Get 2-3 they'll live in there forever but you'll have to watch out for temperatures with them. They're a cold water fish don't really like temps above 75 degrees. But besides that I wish I could get my hands on that pond.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

warmouth

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2008
missouri
Pumpkinseed sunfish with fathead minnows and Bullheads......I love pumpkinseeds nice coloration and they love the winter.

knifegill

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
Oscar Tummy
Kind of had my heart set on a wels, but I guess they're hard to get. Any similar giant catfish? Blue cats seem pretty neat, but do they hide to the extreme, or will they come up for food like a channel?

BOTR

Candiru
MFK Member
May 5, 2006
If it's stream fed, you have an issue on your hands I assume. Wouldnt this limit what you can stock based on whats native to the area? Not sure where you are, but if I stocked a wels into a stream fed pond, I think there would always be the potential for it to get into the stream, or for pathogens that are not native to do the same. Not sure if there is any really 100% reliable way to introduce a non native into your pond without running into trouble. Just food for thought.

knifegill

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
Oscar Tummy
Agree on the pathogens. Stream that leaves the pond is too small for most big fish to flop through. But, yes, I did mention the stream-fed aspect for that reason. But the only local catfish are all bullheads. Tiny. Now I've been reading up on blue catfish and I really think it might be a good fit. Can they take the cooler temps of the Pacific Northwest?

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store